Young Couple looking for Paris Hotel

Jan 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Young Couple looking for Paris Hotel

Hi all-

My fiance and I are spending 4 nights in Paris next July on our European honeymoon, and are researching hotels in the 5th and 6th arrondissements. We don't have a huge budget, so we are looking to spend about 130 - 140 euros/night. After reading through some posts and the Paris Left Bank and Right Bank threads I've narrowed it down to:

- Hotel Familia
- Hotel Minerve
- Grand Hotel des Balcons
- Hotel Grand Ecoles
- Hotel Clement
- Hotel Claude Bernard

Is 6 hotels even considered narrowing it down? haha. I could really use some extra advice before booking! Has anyone stayed at any of these places or have other recommendations? Do you know if any have air conditioning?

Thanks for all the help!
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM

I don't know the hotels you are thinking of and I am sure you will hear from other Fodorites. You may also consider checking out the hotel reviews on Trip Advisor to see what the consensus is. One bad review shouldn't make you remove a hotel but if you see a trend then, don't stay there. Also the web sites should be on Trip Advisor and use the contact info there to find out about A/C, etc...I love the 6th! Great cafes! We stayed there recently at Hotel Louis II.
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

denisea:

Hotel Louis II looks lovely. When I put in our dates, it gives me a "Minimum Stay Rate" of 139 euro/night which is in our range. It seems a little nice for just 139 a night! Did you enjoy your stay there?
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Hah -- I have actually stayed in two of those hotels and I'm staying in a third one on my next trip. We obviously have similar travel budgets. I think all of those are popular budget choices.

In July I'd be concerned about a/c so I would check on that to be sure. I'd probably pay extra for a/c but some people don't care so much.

I stayed at the Familia on my last trip and that is a great choice, tiny room but good bang for the buck.

I stayed at the Claude Bernard years ago, on my first trip to Paris. I believe it's been renovated more recently and I thought it was now charging considerably more than the Familia. They are on the same street, not far from each other, but CB is a little better located iirc.

I'm staying at Hotel Le Clement on my next trip in late May. I've booked the junior suite b/c I wanted more room on this trip than the normal tiny double you get in a budget place. I will let give you my review when I get back, but that will probably be too late for you. But the rooms look pretty nice for the price.

Have you seen these videos of Hotel Le Clement? (Under the map on the right, there is a link to "video" that shows video of the hotel and various rooms).

https://www.exclusive-hotels.com/Hot...Paris_144.html
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM

PS -- I think my room in the Familia had an a/c unit, but I can't remember for sure. I stayed in the fall and it wasn't needed.

The Hotel Le Clement claims to have a/c in every room.
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:25 PM

Stayed in the Grand Ecole 10 years ago. It is set back off the street in very nice gardens. A little oasis in the middle of the 5th. We now only stay in the Marais. Since you say you are young, you might enjoy the atmosphere. Kind of the Soho/Tribeca of Paris. Hotel Jeanne D'Arc has great prices for really nice location in The Marais.
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Stayed at the Familia and though our room was smallish the location and transportation options were great.Would stay there again. You might also look at Deux Continents and Marroniers, both on ue Jacob and well located for many choices, walking distance to many sites, lots of cafes and service nearby
Jan 6th, 2011, 07:09 PM

Another vote for Hotel des Grandes Ecoles: beautiful & charming without being snooty or pretentious. The woman who runs it is a character (she actually welcomes Americans whose French may not be perfect!); the location is ideal; the setting and setup are delightful; and the whole feeling of the place is very Paris.
Jan 6th, 2011, 07:27 PM

We also stayed at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles many years ago. About the only negative I can think of is no A/C.
Jan 6th, 2011, 08:34 PM

Definitely select a place with a/c. Not only will you need the cooling in July, Paris is a bustling city that does not quiet down at night. Even if you had a nice cool breeze at night with the windows open you would also have noise. Louis II is a great location and fun little hotel - no a/c when last I stayed there but maybe it has upgraded. Breakfast was not great - canned fruit cocktail.
Jan 6th, 2011, 10:14 PM

I've stayed at the hotel Clement, as I wrote about in my hotel thread. I also like the Hotel de Seine which I also mentioned in the hotel thread. Happy Travels!
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll let you know how it goes

I think we are leaning towards Hotel Louis II.. it looks charming and the website does say A/C in every room.
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM

alliesun: Hotel Louis II IS air conditioned (Must be upgraded from your time, Go Sox) . The location is unbeatable! It's a great spot with great cafes and restaurants around (read my trip report...Christmas in Paris was fantastic...see the trip report section to find it as it has been pushed off the main page) everywhere. Odeon metro stops is so close and convenient.

The breakfast (we only ate one day) was fine. Pastries from Gerard Mulot, yogurt, cheese...don't remember any fruit cocktail. However, Gerard Mulot is right around the corner and we bought pastries before going to Starbucks (all my husband, not me..read the TR) to eat them. The price on the breakfast is a little high for what you get and if I had my way (and I didn't on this one thing) I would get petit dejeuner at a local cafe. But, Gerard Mulot is well known for fantastic pastries and it wasn't slumming to get pastry from there every day, even if I did eat it Starbucks! (BTW $3.50 euro for 2 pain au chocolat and they were wonderful). The whole place is a fantasy!

Hotel Louis II isn't perfect but I would stay there again. The staff is helpful, very clean, perfect location. It's worth considering.
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM

You are lucky to get that special rate for the Louis II.

For my trip in June, the Louis II is much more than the other hotels on your list and that "minimum stay" rate is not available at all, nor was it available back in Oct. It looks like a much nicer place, so snap that rate up before it disappears.

Search this Thread