Search

York B&B Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
York B&B Recommendation?

Hi,

Thanks to all who responded to my questions about my preliminary itinery for my upcoming trip to Great Britain. I've since decided to spend my time in London and York, dropping Wales for this trip (I'll go there sometime when I can devote more time to it). Anyways, I'm looking for recommendations for b&b/guest house in the York area, something convenient (either walking distance or short drive). My main criteria includes easy, ample free off street parking, ensuite rooms, and rates of 60 pounds or under per room per night. Any suggestions??
Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:01 PM

I stayed at a lovely B&B in York last year that fits all your requirements except for the parking. (We were travelng by train so it didn't matter in our case.) It's called The White Horse and it's on Bootham just outside the medieval city wall. It is literally rooms over a pub. They have three B&B rooms and we just loved it. All three rooms are ensuite, ours was a twin (two beds). We paid £30 per person per night, which included VAT and full English breakfast. It was very easy to walk from there to York Minster and most of the other sites of interest in York, plus there's also a "hop on hop off" bus tour you can catch just a block away. It is a lovely old very British pub, and we found the beds & pillows to be the most comfortable we'd experienced in several trips to the UK. Even though we were literaly just above the bar we were never bothered by noise. An added benefit was the presence of Robbie, the landlord's dog, a sweet adorable pooch we looked forward to petting each morning & evening. The same couple has another B & B on the other side of town called the Lighthorseman. We found it on the Smoothhound website. I highly recommend this lovely place to stay, if you can get around the lack of parking.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:03 PM
P_M

Hi, aggiegirl.

I haven't stayed there yet, but I am booked at Burton Villa. They told me that parking is either at the rear or on a cul-del-sac. That might not exactly meet your off-street request, but I think it's better than parking on a busy street. Our cost will be £27/night/person and includes full breakfast. They said it's an 8 minute walk into the city center. Here's the link if you want to check it out.

www.burtonvilla.com

When will you be there? I am going at the end of May, so I can post a report for you sometime just after that.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:38 PM

We just recently stayed at the Queens Hotel in York. Loved it! The room was large and modern and ensuite. We got a rate of £55 for a double with a river view. The site is www.queenshotel-york.com. We also had breakfast included.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for the responses, I'll check out each recommended place. P_M, I'm going to be there June 2-6.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 04:18 AM
P_M

It looks like you'll be coming in just as I'm going. I'm checking out June 1, so unfortunately I can't post a report that will help you in time. But I'm sure you'll find something you like.