Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yikes! Last minute to Amsterdam. Please help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SO at 4:00 PM today booked flights to Amsterdam. We leave on 2/04 and return on 2/10. I very briefly looked here for info. And will continue to do so. I know I can find the basic good info.

That being said does anyone have any suggestions and maybe things I can't find in the guides or on line?? And any hotel recs in the 'inner circle'...(SO suggested that).

Thank you...
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Type Amsterdam into the "search this forum box" above. You will have hundreds of Amsterdam site suggestions, plus hotels and restaurants. It has all been written many times at Fodors.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I understand the search and I will do that. I was hoping to find suggestions from recent visitors or locals that I might not find on a current search.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:22 PM
DAX

Die Port Van Cleve is a nice dutch hotel on a main street (Nieuwezijds Voorburgwaal) in the historical center close to the Dam square and De Kolk. Hrs.com has it for 89euro per night for doubles within your time period. http://www.dieportvancleve.com/
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 05:42 AM

Understandably, your questions have been often asked and answered, so you might just try using "amsterdam" in the search function...

Winter ideas:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35102428

Top 5 things, and hotels:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35097955

Your favorite places to visit:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35098763

Please help w/Amsterdam itinerary:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34785163

Hotels in Amsterdam:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35098578
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much DAX and Travelnut!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:37 AM

gomiki,

Would you explain the term "hotel recs in the inner circle?" Are you looking for well-located hotels so that you can move around the city easy?

Also do you have any price points in mind for hotel rates?
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

i_am_kane ~ yes, well located hotels. We like to walk and I understand that museums and other sights are not far from each other. I saw something about staying in the "inner cricle" of the city. I have had no chance to research this as it is so last minute. I am printing the threads Travelnut was so kind to post for later reading.

As far as price, is it possible to find decent hotels in the 100 euro range? I will check out the hotel DAX suggested. Comfortable and clean, a tub is a must, is what I would be looking for.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I used Let's Go Amsterdam. I don't usually buy guidebooks but it was excellent.

I stayed at www.kaphotel.nl which was a quaint place near-ish Leidseplein Square with reasonable rates and breakfast included.

By inner circle, you mean the Canal Rings I'm guessing?

At least download a map of the city somewhere. That is essential to help get you started, planning on a short timeline.

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest booking your hotel right now if you can. We have booked hotels three times for trips to Amsterdam but have found accommodation very hard to find, with places often booked out. It's a very popular place.
Kay
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Try www.edenhotelgroup.com .
We like the Eden Amsterdam at Amstel 144 - great location - and often great rates. In my opinion, this is a satisfactory 3* hotel, and if you get a renovated room, probably even better. But any of the Eden hotels in Amsterdam will work fine.

Also try booking.com and
hotelscombined.com .
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:29 AM

I loved the Seven Bridges Hotel. Central, good value, super nice staff. Also in about the most charming location around.

http://www.sevenbridgeshotel.nl/
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Because you have a weekday and weekend stay, you may have better results for availability and price if you break your stay into these two components.

I'd suggest Monday to Thursday, and Thursday to Sunday.

Also try Monday to Friday, and Friday to Sunday.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM

If you leave on Feb.4th, is your arrival Feb. 5th?

I checked www.jollyhotels.com. We stayed at this hotel in Oct. 2007, and it is well-located. The hotel faces the Munt Tower and the Flower Market is on the sidewalk below the hotel. It's about as central as you can get.

Rates on their web site today for arraival on the 5th and departure on the 10th: T, W, Th 102.62 euro, F, S = 115.19 euro. This is a four-star hotel.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the hotel info!! And KayF, thank you for the book it now tip!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Hoteliers.com shows these hotels as available for Feb 5-10:
(there are more but I don't know them as being good)

Hotel Aalders www.hotelaalders.nl/
Hotel Piet Hein www.hotelpiethein.nl/
The Bridge Hotel www.thebridgehotel.nl/
Singel Hotel www.singelhotel.nl/
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Holland does not have an official hotel rating system like the French. Hotels award themselves as many stars as they wish. Check the ViaMichelin.com site for their opinion plus excellent maps. Also check TripAdviser.com for independent reviews from clients, or those claiming to be clients. There could be some touting.

My favorite hotel is the Ambassade. Favorite area is the Spui with good restaurants and pubs. The Spui is not as well known as Leidseplein and Rembrantsplein so it is far less touristy. Try the Cafe Luxembourg for lunch. It has a lot of locals and excellent food but typical slow Dutch service. You can read the IHT and other newspapers for free while you wait. The Cafe Lux is becoming better known but you will probably be the only tourists in February. Watch out for bicycles on the bike path just outside. Have a genever in the Hoppe, an old and famous "brown bar."

Unless there is a big event I don't expect you to have much trouble finding a bed in any price range in early February. But if you get stumped look for a place in Haarlem. I used to live there and can recommend it as a "junior Amsterdam" without a lot of the potential trouble, e.g. professional pickpockets. If you are looking for weed houses or red lights Haarlem has those too. Cafe Brinkman on the Grote Markt serves a good burger and brew. There are plenty of pubs and restaurants around and along the small "streets" just south of the church.

Not generally in the guides is the Corrie Ten Boom House in Haarlem. Corrie was a hero to many Jews and Allied airmen during the war. She was captured by the SS but survived and wrote a fascinating book. Another overlooked site is the Cruquis Expo, a 150 yo steam engine museum on the south rim of Haarlem. The beachside resort town of Zandvoort will be deserted at this time but cafes will be open. Go in August for a great time, if you can get in.

There is plenty more. Read those other posts. Amsterdam could keep you interested for at least a month.

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM

If you would like a good B&B rather than hotel, I would highly recommend the Maes B&B. I'm pasting my description of my stay (summer 06):

"Accommodations:
Maes B&B-I can't say enough good things about it. Great location straddling the Old Center and the Jordaan, a lovely hip area with lots of small shops. Ken and Vlad are wonderful hosts and made us feel as if we were staying in a home away from home. They will do whatever they can do make you feel comfortable. They have two separate buildings a few doors apart housing Maes and the Heren B&Bs. A computer is housed in Heren, so there is a key available 24/7 to access it whenever one wants. Breakfast is a large affair, with breads, cakes, cheeses and spreads, fruit and yogurts, and I believe that Vlad would feel greatly insulted if one left his table less than full. Vlad was like my Russian grandmother (Eat, eat...) but with a great sense of humor. Ken is a counterbalance to Vlad's dramatic, emotive style, but no less warm and welcoming.

Maes is NOT for everyone. They do not lock doors. Also, know that B&Bs in general do not change towels or sheets unless you request it. We had a comforter without a top sheet, but with the increasing heat of July, we asked for and received sheets. We had a fan in the room, and despite the heat, we had no difficulties sleeping."

I found it to be a wonderful place to stay - they are terrific hosts, and I did like the warmth of staying in a B&B.

Paule

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Amsterdam is a very easy city to sight-see. You really don't need to worry about having everything planned out. As long as you can find a hotel, you'll be fine.