YH Giralda in Sevilla?

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YH Giralda in Sevilla?

Still trying to lock down alternative hotels for our stay in Sevilla...

This one looks very interesting ( http://www.yh-hoteles.com ), but I haven't found any comments about it. Do any Fodorites know of it or have stayed there?

Thanks!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Hi dianeg,
Its web page looked interesting to me too, so that's why I dropped by in April to check it out. It's in the heart of Santa Cruz just steps from the cathedral, in a pretty newly painted pink mansion. The interior paint was still drying and the downstairs sitting room still not done, but I liked the look and the rooms for their budget price. During Holy Week the tariff was only 125 euros-a bargain for the Santa Cruz neighborhood. Reg. rates run 80.
Be aware, though, that it's strickly a BUDGET place, and the rooms, while certainly attractive and brand-new looking, with nicely renovated baths and highly polished bare wood floors, only have normal TV, phone and a/c . No minibar, no CNN, no on-site breakfast (they're planning a breakfast room in future), no parking. There is to be internet access, I think downstairs, but it wasn't set up yet. We saw a normal double and room #32, their largest, a triple. The rooms face an interior patio and the overall effect is quite pretty (beautiful bannisters) but a bit cold due to the spare decor-again, a very "upscale" budget place. The besuited desk manager was friendly and showed us all around. But comparing it to the Amadeus, for the same money, you get more charm and more typical Andalusian flavor at the Amadeus.

If you're looking for something inexpensive and don't mind another neighborhood, the brand new 2 star that I also saw and liked (with lots of Andalusian ambience and an Old World look) is the Hotel Adriano, behind the bullring, in the very lively, tapas-bar filled neighborhood of El Arenal downtown. It looked as fresh and pretty as can be and had more of a full-scale hotel feel, but you don't hear much about it yet, since it's so new.
www.hoteladriano.net
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:15 AM

dianeg,
See pricing for the Adriano here-
http://www.2abookings.com/new/establ...sp?IdHotel=270

It offers more-a fitness room, plus parking, room service, cafe, in room safe and internet access, and the housekeeping is immaculate. Its appearance, both from the outside and in, grabbed my attention when walking by.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:58 AM
SRS

Maribel,

Hotel Adriano looks great. Thanks for the information. How would you rate the Hotel Adriano against Casa Numero 7? Are they comprable? Is one nicer? How about the locations?

Any insight would be great!

Thanks!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:31 AM

SRS,
The Casa 7 isn't comparable to anything else, really. It's totally unique, like staying in a very aristocratic friend's exquisitely decorated, rather British formal, 6 bedroom townhouse filled with priceless family heirlooms, complete with service from white jacketed butlers. The tiny Casa 7 doesn't have a hotel feel about it at all. There's an elegant drawing room with honor bar for sherry sipping, whose walls are decorated with priceless oils and a formal breakfast room where you're served your cooked breakfast included in the price (scrambled eggs, bacon, breads, fruit) by the gloved butlers with fine china and sterling. The owner is don Gonzalo González y Gordon, scion of the González Byass sherry dynasty (and Gordon's gin, I think), friend of the British and Spanish Royal Families. But he's rarely in residence but keeps his office there. (Luckily, he was there during our stay and sipped sherry with us at 8 and gave us restaurant/touring advice, but he didn't have a resident manager then, don't know about now).
It's located in the heart of the romantic, highly atmospheric Santa Cruz district, just down the street from the Amadeus, Rey Alfonso X, Fernando III and Casas de la Judería hotels.
I've written a bit about it here, if you'd like to do a text search.

The 2 star Adriano seems like a great value, full service, moderately priced, conventional, commericial hotel, although with lots of Old World Andalusian charm. (I didn't get to see any rooms just the downstairs).
It's located downtown, between the cathedral and the bullring, close to the Guadalquivir river in a very lively area with lots of great tapas bars on that street and Antonio Díaz, García de Vinusa and Gamazo.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:14 AM
SRS

Thanks Maribel. I actually already booked at Casa 7 (for March 04) based on your prior reviews. But with the mention of this new hotel, I was waivering. However I think I will stay with Casa 7 and not switch. Sounds like it will be a really great experience. Thank you again!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:22 AM

SRS,
Don't switch! And please report back about your stay, and say hello for me to the very sweet Ecuadorian brothers who took such good care of us-hope they're still around!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Maribel!

As a matter of fact, I was trying to weigh the Giralda against the Amadeus... no contest, I see ;-)