Yet Another Converter/Adapter Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this has been asked and answered many times, but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I will be in Greece in May and will need to charge an iPod and a camera battery while I'm there. I checked on the power cords for each charger, and they both said Input 120-240v. Now from what I've read, I think I understand that this means I don't need a converter but do need an adapter, correct? If so, do I need a particular type of adapter? Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:07 AM

You access local electric power via 'power sockets'. Lamps use screw in sockets. Appliances use pin type devices to connect to a socket. Socket adapters attach to your appliance with openings that accommodate your 'pin type'. US sockets and plugs are of two types: two hole and two hole and a grounding pin. hole. Socket adapters attach to the foreign socket using matching pins. Turkey uses type B adapter plugs that fit their type 2 power outlets. Consult ,< www.voltagevalet.com > for local sources of the required gear. Store gear in a separate zip-lock bag. Be sure to take your adapter after you use it. I have had to back track to recover one I forgot.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM

Do your power cords actually say "100-240V"? That's the usual designation for multi-voltage devices that automatically adjust to any voltage within that range.

All you will need is an adapter plug so that your US plugs will fit into the the European round-pin sockets. Most US camera battery and iPod chargers don't have a ground pin, just two flat blades. If that is the case, you don't need to worry about an adapter plug with a ground pin - just a two-pin adapter.

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 03:02 AM

Go over to your local WalMart and in the travel/luggage area you'll find a rack that has adapter kits for about $10. That kit will have pretty much every adapter you would need for anywhere in the world.

Having the dual voltage "cord" or appliance, you only need the plug adapter.

dave
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, both the plugs I have say "Input 120-240v." Okay, so all I need is a two-pin adapter, right? I'm worried about buying the wrong type of adapter and it not fitting in the socket, which I keep reading online is a problem. For example, a particular adapter will work in Switzerland but not Italy.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Becca you are correct - you only need an adapter as your plug will not physically fit in the power socket.
International adapters have a list of the countries whose sockets they fit on the packet.
If nowhere else you can usually buy one at the airport, or any electrical shop in Greece.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:07 AM

There are now adapters available that allow for multiple plug-end configurations all in one small housing so you don't have to buy an assortment of plug-end adapters that can easily get lost. These gizmos are handy and small.

Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-331.../dp/B0002H4YUI

http://www.voltage-converter-transfo...gadapters.html
(Check VP 104 on this one)
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Becca, stop worrying. All you need is an adapter for this type of plug: http://kropla.com/!c.htm

As you can see by the list at the bottom of the page, it is the same plug that is used in Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, and most of the rest of Europe. If for some reason you end up with the wrong adapter, it should be available in Germanos and other Greek electronic shops.

Or do as others have suggested and buy one of those universal kits with adapters for every country in the world - one of them will fit.