Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

yeah for scavi tickets but help with planning day

Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Have tickets for scavi tour for 1:30 on Oct. 9 and so excited but need help with what time to arrive to avoid long lines and also include the vatican museums and sistine chapel. Is there more than one entrance to the vatican? What is the average time in line for entrance to vatican? Are you allowed to carry small bag into the above? Also, will be spending a few days in Venice and would we need to pre-book any sites while there? You have all been so helpful in planning our first trip to Italy and after a year can't believe we are so close to departure. Would appreciate any help.

Rose G
Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:15 PM

? What do you mean by Vatican? Line for Vatican museum? Line for entrance to St. Peter's? Line for Scavi? It's all the Vatican.
Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

I guess I don't know the right question to ask. Entrance into the vatican as whole, the museums and the sistine chapel. Just the initial walk through. Help me!

Rose G
Aug 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM

Piggybacking (we have a 1:30 Scavi tour reservation on Oct. 15th)
Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM

Hi. I just returned from Rome and I did the three things you are asking about all in the same day. First, visit the Vatican Museum. I recommend scheduling a tour...you will learn more and avoid the lines. I paid 28 Euro per person, and I had a 10:30 appointment. It was a two hour tour, so you would finish just in time to get to your Scavi tour appointment.

You leave from the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel out a door that leads you right into the entry to St. Peters. (Check your bags now. You can not take them on the Scavi Tour.) This is near where you need to be. Walk to the Swiss Guard station to the left of St. Peter's (if you were facing it) and show the guards your printed invoice. They then admit you to the area where the Scavi tour begins. The Scavi tour takes just under 1.5 hours, so you will finish by 3:00. You can now go into St. Peter's Basillica. Plan to spend an hour or more here.

This summary doesn't give you any time for lunch, so you may want to bring snacks with you. Just so you know, you will need to pass through security, but if you go through security at the Museum, you don't have to stand in line to go through security again (as long as you don't leave to get food).

You could also reverse the order of this...visit St. Peters in the morning, go on the Scavi Tour, and then go to the Vatican Museum (the entrance is a several-block walk away). Check the times for the museum so you don't miss out, though. It's amazing. Also, you would have to go through security twice...once for St. Peters and again at the museum.
Aug 4th, 2008, 03:53 AM

Ok, while they are all in the "Vatican", there is not really a single entrance for all three.

Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel are on Viale Vaticano. Facing St. Peters, walk to the right, keeping the walls of the city to your left. It is a few hundred meter walk around the corner, but you'll come to the entrance to the museums. I would advise reserving a tour through the Vatican, is fairly inexpensive and is well done.

When you get to the Sistine Chapel, you'll see a door to the right, at the rear of the chapel. A sign will say "tour groups only". Whether you are with a group or not, exit through that door. That will take you to St. Peters and you won't have to go through the security line.

When you exit St. Peters, go to your far right in the portico. Exit to your right, facing the square. That is the security entrance for the scavi tour.

Get the earliest tour for the museum (2 hours), spend a little time in St. Peters, then do the Scavi tour. You can then return to St. Peters, if you want.
Aug 4th, 2008, 04:44 AM

Here's the layout:
http://www.saintpetersbasilica.org/vaticancity-map.htm

If you notice the entrance to the museum is on Viale Vaticano (#22) and the museum buildings run all the way over to the Sistine Chapel (#9). The Scavi tour is over by #2 and #59. If you visit St. Peter's first, it's about a 15 minute walk from the square to the museum entrance (along Via di Porta Angelica to Viale Vaticano).

If you are doing the Scavi tour at 1:30 and plan to also tour the museum, I would book an early tour with a tour company (not the Vatican because the 10:30 tour doesn't give you time for lunch). Or you could tour St. Peter's early, eat an early lunch, Scavi tour and then go the museum from 3-6 (last entrance at 4).

There are lines for the museum entrance and lines for St. Peter's entrance. The Scavi tour shouldn't have a line (unless you need to check bags which is in another location) since numbers to tour are very limited.
Aug 4th, 2008, 04:53 AM

There are cafes in the Vatican museums so you could get an early lunch there.
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:21 AM

Kybourbon is right, the normal time for the Vatican sponsored tour of the museum (English speaking) is about 10:30am. Using an outside tourguide can get you in around 8:30 or so.

The museum lines sometimes get much less in the afternoons, but that is kind of flip of the coin.

If you want to splurge, really splurge, Italy with Us has an after-hours tour of the museum (250 euros), but you are almost alone in the museums and Sistine chapel.
Aug 6th, 2008, 03:49 AM

I would book an early tour to the Vatican musuems if you want to go there in the morning before your Scavi tour. After the tour you can head back to other sections of the museum rather than exiting at the Sistine Chapel. The Pinactoteca has a wonderful collection and is much less crowded than other parts of the museums
I always recommend reading Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling for good background on the Sistine Chapel and Raphael rooms
Aug 6th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info. This is just what I needed to know. Have printed a copy of the Vatican map and am good to go.

Rose G
Aug 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM

bookmarking - thanks!
Aug 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM

bookmarking - I have same schedule in November
Aug 8th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Another note:

After finishing the Scavi tour, my recollection is that it puts you out in St. Peter's and you do not need to go through the St. Peter's entrance line that way.