Scavi Tour Amazement + Questions

Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Scavi Tour Amazement + Questions

Two days ago I wrote for Scavi tour tickets for 4 weeks from now. I immediately got an email back saying that the office would be closed the following day, yesterday. For months, I've been reading about people writing 6 months in advance and getting tickets that way and knew I needed to get moving. I waited and waited (don't ask why other than not really knowing when we wanted to do things while in Rome) and after 8 months of procrastination, finally wrote knowing that I didn't stand a chance.

Imagine my surprise when today I got confirmation for my first choice date! If anyone is going next month, write right away - maybe you'll be lucky like I was!

Our tour time is 3:15. Does anyone have suggestions on going to the Vatican and St. Peters basilica around that tour time to help us avoid long lines? I read that we can get into St. Peters just after the tour by going through a special gate and avoiding the lines. Can you do that at any time or only certain times of the day? Is there a way to do that to get into the Vatican? Should we take a tour to avoid lines to see the Sistine Chapel and museum?

Any help would be appreciated!
Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:12 AM

Where the tour ends, you are right underneath the centre of the basilica so you can go straight in up the stairs there. There is no link with the Vatican Museums. However I've always walked straight in on arriving at lunchtime, so (if it fits in with how long you'll think you need there) you could do the same before going to the excavations office. Make sure you leave plenty of time, though, for leaving your bags in left luggage in between.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

should I buy tickets to the Vatican in advance? If so, are they for a certain date and time? Is there a long security line even if I buy tickets ahead of time?

Some people recommend taking a tour to avoid the lines. Does anyone recommend that for the Vatican instead?
Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:39 PM

>>>Where the tour ends, you are right underneath the centre of the basilica so you can go straight in up the stairs there.<<<

Not always as sometimes there are things going on and everyone is required to exit to the outside, but you can still go up the front steps of St. Peter's without leaving the secure/guarded area.

Everything you are asking about is in the Vatican. If you are asking about avoiding lines for the Vatican Museums, you can book tickets or a tour in advance on the Vatican website. Both let you bypass the line, but do require you pick a tour/ticket time.
Tickets:
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...nfo_Orari.html
Tours:
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...zi_Visite.html
Jun 4th, 2011, 03:46 AM

We just returned back from Rome and toured Vatican Museum,St. Peters, and Scavi, but on different days. Our tour time was also at 3:00 PM. If I had to do it over again and wanted to get everything in one day:

>>> Reserver tickets in Advance. The Vatican Museum line was long a and this was in May. Our guide said "You should see the lines in summer." <<<

- Reserve a morning time for the Vatican museums entry. You can bypass the log line of people to get to the reserve ticket window and get your tickets. (I'll put a plug in for Context Tours Vatican Museum/St Peters Tour- It was great - about 4 hours - mostly in the Vatican Museums - 30-40 minutes in St. Peters ending in St. Peters).

- You go through security when entering the Vatican Museum.
- Tour the Vatican Museum. Have fun.

- We got this information from our tour guide. At the end of the Vatican Museum tour which ends in the Sisine there is an exit into St. Peters. If they are letting people exit directly from the Sistine into St. Peters the time you are touring then you are home free. You are in St. Peters. If they do not let you exit from the Sistine into St. Peters you have to exit out the way you came in and walk around the Vatican walls to St. Peters entrance. About a 15 minute walk or so.

- Doing the above gets you through the Vatican Museum and into St. Peters w/o going through security a second time.

- When we exited the Scavi tour we exited though the grotto where the popes are interned. This let us out into a hallway on the right side of St. Peters near a small souvenir shop. You are still in st. Peters so you have a chance to walk around St. Peters afterward, which we did.