Tour for Sistine Chapel?

Old Aug 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour for Sistine Chapel?

Hi - We will be traveling to Rome in October and will be visting the Vatican/Sistine Chapel & St. Peter's. How difficult is it to get into the Sistine Chapel? We are looking into booking a tour and the prices are 47-54 for 3 1/2 hours. Is 3 1/2 hours ample time, or should we try to get in without a tour? Also, are there any audio tours available for the Sistine Chapel.

And lastly, can you do the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's all in one day or should we split it up into 2 days.

Thnx so much
Susana
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM

The Sistine Chapel is entered through the Vatican Museums. It is possible, even likely, that the tour prices you were quoted were for a tour of the museums, not just of the Sistine Chapel. You would not be likely to spend 3 1/2 hours in the Sistine Chapel itself.

There are audio guides at the Vatican Museums which cover the Sistine Chapel as well as the other exhibits.

You can certainly see the Vatican Museums, including the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's in one day. This is easiest if you leave the Sistine Chapel by the exit that is marked for tour groups only. You would wait for a group and tag along after them and exit the museum very near the entrance to St. Peter's.

The exit sign for the general public leads you back to the entrance to the Vatican Museum, which is a long walk around the Vatican Wall to St. Peter's. If you do use an audioguide, you have to return it near the entrance, however, so you would not be able to go out the back way.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 11:31 AM

I'd REALLY recommend the Context Rome tour of the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, and St Peters. There is supposedly no talking (even by tour guides) allowed in the Sistine Chapel, but our tour guide seemd to be on VERY good terms with guards and talked softly the whole time we were in there. Liz really brought it to life. Honestly, it was just breathtaking listening to her and looking at that ceiling...

Context Rome only takes 6 people on the tour and they are scheduled so that you will not have to wait in line. (We did see appalling lines there though driving by at other times...) It is a 4 hour tour. We were pretty tired after that, but if we go back to Rome I would simply go again and see some of the stuff we no doubt missed. There is so much to do in Rome though, that even though we were there for 8 days I wouldn't have wanted to go back there during that time.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 11:57 AM

I have visited the Vatican Museum a couple of times. I have never taken a tour there. I have enjoyed it thoroughly and usually headed straight towards the Sistine Chapel. I donít think I would have enjoyed a 3 Ĺ hour tour. By the way, you might want to drop by there around lunch time, I found this to be a good time to go (no lines). Nikkiís advice re the Sistine Chapel exist is a good one. It will save you a lot of walking.

I am not sure I would spend one day to cover both the Vatican Museum and St. Peterís. I know I went back to St. Peterís a couple of times. It might be just a personal choice.

I do plan to take the Scavi tours next time. Everyone in this board has recommended it highly. I will also take a tour of the Forum and the Colosseum. I took them a long time ago and I really enjoyed them.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I'd second the mention of contextrome, they are an excellent organization.
I have heard that the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel audioguides are very good as these things go. If you did that, there are separate one-hour guided tours of just St Peter's, that can be booked at the Vatican tourist office which is on St Peter's Square.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM

The audioguide for the Vatican Museum (including the Sistine Chapel) is outstanding, the best I've ever experienced at a museum.
And yes, visiting the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's is a good one-day itinerary.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM

I'll add my vote for the Contextrome tours (Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, St. Peters).

The 4 hours were packed with information and flew by. I never gave a thought to my feet while standing for 4 hours and I've been on tours where I've begun to fidget after an hour.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:55 PM

Having been in the Vatican museums 100+ times, this (and the Forum) is one of the spots that I would recommend using a guide - or at minimum, the audio guides. They are just so large and so much to see.

The "shortcut" in the Sistine Chapel is for group tours only and be forewarned, as of late, they have stepped up the enforcement of this policy. Thus, many folks expecting to take this "exit" are turned away by the guards and forced to walk back through the library section of the museums, exiting back onto Viale Vaticano - where you entered the museums. Out of the many times I've frequented the museums, I've perhaps been turned away from this exit only 3-4 times - but it does happen.

If you rent an audioguide from the Vatican Museums, you will have to return it... back at the front of the museums. Thus, you cannot utilize the Sistine Chapel shortcut.

The Museums are incredible and combined with St. Peter's Basilica, the tombs, and climbing the cupola... can easily take an entire day. For some help and tips on seeing the Museums, you might look at this article:

http://tinyurl.com/vatican-tips
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM

bookmarking...great info here!
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 05:06 PM

This thread is from 05 and was topped by a person trying to sell their app.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 05:44 PM

kybourbon...

GOOD CALL .......
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But, it's a very useful thread, especially the link for the tips.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 06:45 PM

ITunes has Rick Steves' Vatican apps for free.