Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WWII battlefields in Southern Germany/Black Forest?

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:30 AM
T.D.

A friend of mine who is a big history buff informed me that there is some area of the Black Forest that still contains bombed-out tanks, jeeps, etc. from WWII activity. Is anyone familiar with this or other WWII related historical sites outside of Nueremberg (sp?). Thanks.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 09:57 AM
metoo

I would like to know too.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Bob

Berchtesgaden has the Eagles Nest and the ruins of Hitler's home. You can also visit the bunker under the mountain. Nuremburg has the remains of the famous viewing stand and the colieseum that was under construction.You can stand where Hitler stood when he addressed the troops. In front of you will now be soccer fields.

I am not familiar with anything in southern Germany, Black Forest, but there may be something. We have driven through there many times and have never noticed anything.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Al

Your friend is either mistaken or is putting you on. There are no WW2 relics in the Black Forest. These sites were heavily picked over immediately after the war. There are some relics (well-preserved) in Belgium from the Battle of the Bulge. Perhaps he/she is confusing this site with the Hurtgen Forest, near Aachen, far to the north. Even there you will find nothing remaining. Teams of disposal squads (largely POWs) did this cleanup work in the years immediately after the war. I know because I explored this particular area last October. Nothing in the way of relics remain. Of course, Nuremberg is nowhere near the Black Forest inasmuch as it is north of Munich. Nuremberg itself was heavily bombed but saw little street fighting since it was captured during the closing days of the war. Nearby Bamberg was completely unscathed and is a wonderful place to visit. If there are specific locations you are wondering about, write me directly by e-mail; I've hiked over most of the main battlefield areas of both WW1 and WW2 within France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, and Luxembourg.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Russ

If you're somewhere near Baden-Baden, which lies at the edge of the northern Black Forest, just drive a few miles west across the French border to visit the Maginot-Line bunkers, forts and casemates around Schoenenbourg. Here's a website to help you with planning.

http://www.lignemaginot.com/index8.htm

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Gar

Agrees with Al and Russ, there is nothing to find in the Black Forest. You had to cross the border to France.
Gar

Old Nov 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of your answers are incorrect, The Black Forrest had several collection depots for the German military to deposit their equipment after that area was occupied by the Allies, it was also used to collect damaged German equipment.

A few years ago, I saw a news story on German TV where some German hikers came across one of these collection points that was untouched since WWII, in it were lots of German vehicles and tanks , some undamaged by the war. Unfortunately I can't remember where it was and have looked and asked around in the area but no one seems to know. So possibly the site is again lost.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM

Larkin...if you'll notice..this thread goes back to 2001...and there is nothing after that year..in fact most of the above posters are no longer on Fodors. If it means anythong, I agree with your Shvarze Wald opinions..nothing much if anything left. I believe the collection depots finally sold off by auction anything worthy of wartime souvenirs as far back as 1960's
stu
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 09:23 AM

I lived near Baden Baden for seven years many years ago and have never heard of any long lost war replics in the Blackforest. There used to bunkers around Rheinstetten in the woods, but I don't know if they are still there. Furthermore, they were blown up so no one could get in. I don't think there would be much to find on the German side but I agree with one of the other writers that there might be some relics on the French side in the Alsace. You wouldn't catch me in the woods around there. You may very well be chased out by wild boars or the like.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know how much of a ww2 buff you are, nor what your interest is, but here's a website you might find of interest. I know that east of Bardejov, Slovakia, there's a German aircraft and a tank as a memorial to a battle fought in a pass nearby.
http://www.ww2museums.com/countries.asp
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 10:57 PM

1940's War Bunker

Originally Posted by yu243229 View Post
I lived near Baden Baden for seven years many years ago and have never heard of any long lost war replics in the Blackforest. There used to bunkers around Rheinstetten in the woods, but I don't know if they are still there. Furthermore, they were blown up so no one could get in. I don't think there would be much to find on the German side but I agree with one of the other writers that there might be some relics on the French side in the Alsace. You wouldn't catch me in the woods around there. You may very well be chased out by wild boars or the like.
Looking for information on WW2 war remains I found this thread. Recently I visited Wildsee Lake (south west of Baden Baden) and on the path down to the lake I came across what look like a storage bunker with metal doors with an inscription above reading "1940". War remains? Or something else?