Reload this Page >

Small Towns -Southern Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Henry

I have been to Germany several times and have visited many of the more popular cities and towns. I'm looking to find out about towns that are worth visiting that are a little less popular.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Rex

Two that I considered delightful:<BR><BR>Landshut, about 35 miles northeast of Munich<BR><BR>and<BR><BR>Oberkirch, in the Black Forest, not far from Strasbourg<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:39 PM
eurowalker

Here's a piece I've written on several small, wonderful towns that international tourists have probably never heard of; they're located near one another close to the Altmuehl River between Munich and Nuremberg:<BR><BR>www.epinions.com/content_84480069252<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:11 PM
CharlieB

Henry - may I suggest the following:<BR>1) In Southern Germany - Mittenwald and Oberamergau, Passau<BR>2) In Wurtemberg - Ulm, Tubingen, Schwabiscn Hall, Bad Wimpfen.<BR>3) Baden - Freiburg<BR>4) Harz region- Gottingen, Goslar, Quedlinberg.<BR>5) Franconia - Bamberg, Wurzburg, Erfurt, Regensburg.<BR>6) Rhineland - Mainz, Bernkastel, Cochem, Trier, Braubach, Boppard, St Goarhausen<BR>7) Saxony - Dresden and Leipzig<BR>8) North Germany - Lubeck, Bremen. Hamburg<BR> These are only a few of my favorites, there are hundreds of other idyllic towns &amp; sites I have not yet explored. Have a great trip and enjoy!<BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 02:17 AM
ttt

to the top for Henry

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Melanie

Mittenwald and Berchtesgaden are two of my favorites.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Gar

hi there,<BR>if You dont wanna run into a lot of tourist try<BR>Esslingen (near Stuttgar, nice old houses and ruins)<BR>Sigmaringen (between Stuttgart and Ulm, castle and Danube valley)<BR>Bietigheim, Besigheim, Marbach (old town with city walls, old houses, birthplace of Schiller, lot of castles arround in the valley of the river Neckar)<BR>Rastatt (between Baden-Baden and Karlsruhe, nice baroque town with castle)<BR><BR>have fun<BR>Gar

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:33 AM
bill

There are a few that you may consider:<BR><BR>Titisee or Schluchsee in the Black Forest<BR><BR>Any of the towns in the Bayernsche Zell<BR><BR>The area of Tegernsee, 37 kms south of Munich<BR><BR>Kufstein, on the Germany Austrian Border<BR><BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:20 PM
Michael

Maulbronn between Frankfurt and the Black Forest was a surprise discovery for me about 30 years ago. The monastery (which can be visited) was converted to a boy's school shortly after the Reformation, so it survived in good shape. On the other side of the square are traditional beam houses.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:31 AM
Amanda

Check out the area around Lake Konstanz. The town of Konstanz, Meersburg, Lindau, etc. The parents of two exchange students we hosted (brothers) are from there; we have visited twice and loved it! We stayed in a small hotel in Walhausen (about $50 per night for two), which is on the lake and has boat transportation to all lake towns. It seems that biking around the lake is very popular. Very historical area and close to small towns in Switzerland. Not very many US tourists in that area that we could tell. Karen Brown recommends two hotels in Meersburg that look very nice.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:24 PM
Shanna

Hi, Henry. Try the Pfalz area, west of the Rhine, the Weinstrasse. Lots of vineyards, it's where the Romans lived, warmest area of Germany, small medieval villages with walls intact, some larger medieval towns - e.g., Worms, spa towns - Bad Durkheim, lots of walking areas - can't remember the mountains - Hunsruck maybe - wine festivals. You won't see many English speaking tourists, mostly German, but locals are very friendly. Great local beer.