Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you trust the TGV from Tours to CDG with same day flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
Couldn't choose between Scotland and France so decided to do both in May. After Great Britian we are taking the Chunnel to Paris and then spending a week in Paris and the Loire Valley.
I would like to do as little backtracking and hauling around of luggage as possible (with my elderly mother). Prefer to do Paris first for a few days since the Chunnel will take us directly into the city. Then train from Paris to Tours. My TGV book says there is a train from Tours to CDG airport. Our flight to the States does not leave until almost three in the afternoon. There are at least two trains that will take us directly to CDG from Tours by noon. Would you trust the French rail system not to strike or have their usual delays/train cancellations? Or do you recommend ending the trip in Paris and play on the safe side with numerous alternatives to get to the airport?
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:34 AM

I would think you could do it--take the earliest one.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:52 AM

"usual delays/train cancellations" ? The SNCF has a good reputation for punctuality, and they're certainly at least as good as most other European countries. I've been all over France by train on many trips in the past 30-odd years, and suffered very few delays or cancellations. Things can go wrong on any system (people commit suicide by jumping in front of trains, for example), so it's always a good idea to allow extra time for a journey if you've a plane to catch.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:16 AM

I would NOT want to be on the highway during any sort of rail strike in France and certainly not in Paris.

It probably doesn't get any more "trustworthy" rail-wise than it does in France (perhaps Germany/Japan) possible strikes notwhithstanding and you'd probably know about one far enough in advance to make alternative arrangements.

I wouldn't hesitate at all.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM

What would you trust? If the train is not trustworthy, do you have a more trustworthy alternative?

I would not.

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 09:45 AM

if you feel uncomfortable, you could get a room at cdg on priceline, 4 star hotel, probably for about 79$.
this would eliminate any concern.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM

I don't know -- personally, I would never do this anywhere, depend upon a major train trip on the day I had a major international flight.

It will probably be fine, but the last time I was in Paris (last summer), two of the TGVs I took were delayed (out of maybe 3-4), and one up to 1:30 hours, as I recall. I think the one from CDG was delayed, actually, about 45-60 minutes (going to Montpellier). That had nothing to do with a strike.