Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

TGV from Avignon to CDG - how early to arrive at CDG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of taking the 7:47 am train from Avignon arriving at CDG at 11:00. My flight leaves at 2pm. Do you think that is enough time for me to check in and go through security?

thanks,
dk
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM

yes probably especially if your flight is from terminal 2 where the TGV station is

i always advise folks to get to their departure city the night before if relying on public transport

France has had all too many train strikes recently so you could possible show up at the Avignon station to find a Greve (strike) sign in the morning

though strikes are often previewed in advance wildcat ones can happen that only affect certain regions like happened to me recently in Strasbough

a conductor had been assaulted and all the train staff in Alsace practically suddenly went out to protest security.

Unlikely but possible and then you may lose you non-refundable ticket on the plane etc.

Recently in the Paris-Orleans train route the electrical feed was cut for several hours and with electric trains though again rare could happen

I subscribe to the theory that though rare it is bound to happen the day you NEED to travel
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:00 PM

If you stay in Paris the night before - taxi drivers or RER could go on strike. Other modes of getting to the airport would be overwhelmed. This happened to friends of ours trying to get to CDG.

RER went on strike once while we were in Paris, but we were not going to the airport when they were on strike.

Only failsafe is to stay in Roissy & rely on an airport shuttle offered by the hotel - or stay at CDG. That's not what I want to do on my vacation, but I've not had any problems getting to CGD on departure date - yet.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:01 PM

The chance of the train being delayed an hour or so is more possible and that would perhaps get there too late

again not probably but possible
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM

I personally would not chance it same day. I would be a basket case with worry and that's not how I like to spend my vacation.

Perhaps you have nerves of steel and are very lucky in life. In that case, go for it.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM

This exact same discussion is being conducted on another thread too.

PalenQ & Crazy

If the OP was flying from Marseille to CDG, to elsewhere, would you also advise him/her to take the Marseille to CDG flight a day early???

I have no statistics to prove this, but I suspect that the TGV from Avignon to CDG has a better on-time record than the Marseille to CDG flight. I also suspect that AF or discount airlines between Marseille and CDG have as many disruptions as the TGV has - if not more.

I've had a lot of luck, I guess, getting to CDG on time via TGV.

I realize that if you fly one airline all the way from Marseille to CDG to elsewhere and you miss the CDG connection - the airline will get you home OK. The TGV won't. However, if it's not one airline, then it's the traveler's problem.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

What if I bought PREMs, but I also bought the insurance, would it cover me in case of a strike? If I knew of the strike the day before, could I switch to a train that left a day early and stay at the airport?

thanks everyone!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:08 PM

would it cover your much more expensive airline ticket

Stu - the thing here is the OP has relatively little fudge time built into the train to plane connections and the least little disturbence could set it off even an hour or so she/he may be in deep doo
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM

I am interested in this, as I am in the same situation in May. Am I wrong that if you are somehow late for your plane, the airline will put you on another flight-you don't have to BUY another ticket do you?!?

Ash39
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM

She has 3 full hours - with no immigration, baggage claim, etc. Only security - which you'll have on a Marseille to CDG connection also.

If I'm staying in Paris, I don't arrive 3 hours early for a flight. If I'm flying from Nice/Marseille/elsewhere - I'm perfectly comfortable with 3 hrs - even if I have to claim & re-check my bags.

I have more confidence in the TGV getting me to CDG no more than 1 hr late, than I do AF or a discount airline doing the same.

There is even an earlier TGV that gets you to CDG with a 4 or 4 1/2 hr layover (depending on the day of the week).

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:29 PM

DK,

This may be irrelevant, but if you are flying with AA, you can book your TGV through them. They have a code share with SNCF.

If you were to do that and not make the connection, it is possible that they would deal with it as a missed connection and make arrangements to get you on the next available flight.

The operative word is "available."
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM

That's good info Jeff. I've seen that posted here before - but I forgot which airline. Do you know if PREMS are available through AA. I assume (tell me if you know different) you must call AA or use a travel agent to get the TGV tickets - you can't do it on-line.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

I'm flying Northwest (terminal 2)...

I could buy the tickets for the 6:45 train and get into CDG at 10am. But that means that I may have to get up before 4am - that part does not sound like fun

I guess travel days are never fun.

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM

>>>Am I wrong that if you are somehow late for your plane, the airline will put you on another flight-you don't have to BUY another ticket do you?!? <<<

It depends on the conditions your ticket. Read the fine print very carefully.

If you have a regular business class ticket, no problem. If you have a reduced fare economy class ticket that says "flights and dates as shown only" or something like that, you will have a problem and sometimes a rather serious one.

If you have a very cheap ticket and you do not show up, you can throw your ticket into the garbage can and buy a new one.

Sometimes you will have to pay a fee to change the ticket. But then the next problem occurs: Are there seats available? Usually, the inexpensive booking classes are sold out months in advance. If you want to take the next flight, you must upgrade to a more expensive class and you must pay the penalty. Can become pretty expensive.

And here comes the airline into play. There are some airlines which have only one flight per day to your destination (there are even airlines which have one flight per week). Other airlines have two, three or four flights per day to your destination. Then you have much better chances.

This is one of the reasons why I never buy the cheapest ticket. I prefer flying with a large carrier, and I prefer buying tickets which are changeable at reasonable penalties.

This are the rules if it is your fault if you miss the plane. If it is the airline's responsibility (because a connecting flight was late) then they have to reroute you without any charges. Under European law, they have even to pay a compensation if the delay is considerable.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Take the early train. You will sleep less but better.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM

>>If it is the airline's responsibility (because a connecting flight was late) then they have to reroute you without any charges. Under European law, they have even to pay a compensation if the delay is considerable.<<

I've always wondered about that. What happens if I fly Cheapdiscount airlines from Nice to CDG. Then United to the US. If Cheapdiscount cancels the flight, who will get me to the US & will I have to pay?

I've missed several flights in Europe, but luckily for me, it's has always been on codeshare airlines.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

I checked and there is no 6:45 train. Only one at 6:11am. So I probably wouldn't sleep anyway if I knew that I had to get up so early... we are not morning people...
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Make sure you ussed the correct day of the week when checking schedules. Sunday trains are different from Tuesday trains.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

I check through the German website that you gave me.
The French website is too painful

June 5 Paris Lyon – Avignon
June 10 Avignon – CDG

I was doing ok with the French website, till today where I can no longer select “Paris CDGaulle 2 TGV” from the destination list – I don’t see any option that looks like the airport….
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM

Roissy

Stu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -