Old Jun 10th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air traffic controllers in France to strike for 3 days starting tomorrow

From the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/bu...ef=global-home
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:33 AM

Yep - on Wednesday we land at CDG at 11:10 from SFO, with a connection to Bordeaux departing at 1:25.

About 12 years ago, our AF flight from SFO to CDG was delayed by about 4 hours for various reasons. The "reasons" were all at SFO. There was chaos at CDG just because our flight was late. We waited all day at CDG before we could catch another flight to Nice. Our bags arrived in Geneva.

On Wednesday, if our flight is cancelled and I can't get on another flight that day, I plan to try to catch the 2:09 TGV from CDG to Bordeaux. I suspect that others will be trying to do the same and that flight will either be sold out or by the time I reach the front of the line at the ticket office - it will be too late.

If I do not catch a flight or TGV out of CDG on Wednesday, I will book the earliest TGV out of Paris Montparnasse and go into Paris, stay overnight, and catch this TGV in the am.

Of course, I will have to retrieve my bags at CDG somehow if I take the TGV.

Does this seem like a good plan???

Do I need to contact AF to make sure that they do not cancel my return flight to SFO if I miss an earlier leg??

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Anyone affected might want to check out this website for strike-related info:

http://www.easytravelreport.com/
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 08:01 AM

I learned that there is a possible sncf strike on Thursday - making my Paris to Bordeaux TGV not an option.

I'm planning on driving to the Gers (our final destination) stopping 1/3 of the way there for an overnight in Bourges.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 08:32 AM

I received a tweet from air france. They say they have been told to cut service by 50% but they will achieve this by reducing cargo flights. They are offering flight changes. Suggest you sign up for alerts on Twitter. Best of luck, I feel for you.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Usually when they have flights that affect service, they try to make it not affect the major international flights if they can help it. Same for rail service and SNCF strikes, usually it affects the major TGV routes the least.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 03:55 PM

Do these strikes typically last the 3 days they say or do they last longer? We are planning a flight to France in a few weeks? Sorry, Stu for the hassle you are going through. You were a big help to me planning our trip. Hope you have a great time even with the addition of this new "adventure".
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 04:34 PM

For June 11, 5 of 7 flights from CDG to Bordeaux are canceled. Of the 2 remaining flights, one is at the same time we're flying on June 12. 5 of 7 flights to Nice were canceled also. No cancellation schedule for June 12 yet.

I have back-up plans to drive - for $1,200 more (late car rental, fuel/tolls, and hotel). All can be canceled if we get on the AF flight to Bordeaux (except the hotel).

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 08:51 PM

For US departures on Wednesday the 11th of June, it looks as though United is cancelling about half of their entire schedule to Paris and American at least that percentage of flights or more.

This is the first time, in several decades, that I have seen transatlantic flights cancelled due to a controllers work action.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 03:39 AM

Usually, if ATC in Europe says three days, they mean three days. At Heathrow, they have done it for three hours.

You may be affected by this for days, however, even if your flight is not in the affected time slot. All those people whose flights were canceled still need to get there, so you can expect downstream flights for a week or so to be more crowded than usual.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 04:21 AM

Apparently the DNSA, French air traffic control, has told US air carriers to reduce their flights by 50% over the period of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. If you have a flight to France anytime during this period, except delays and cancellations and that these actions will effect operations for some time to come.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 05:20 AM

Dropped some clients at Biarritz airport today and their Ryan Air flight to Stansted might be cancelled. They are being given conflicting information every few minutes. The Ryan Air Dublin flight is also cancelled/delayed.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 06:05 AM

Air Transat flight Toulouse-Montreal still on this morning. Dropped our friend off at the airport, he is checked in and was waiting to board when we left.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 06:16 AM

On a different forum about 10 years ago, an American e-pat living in Paris often claimed that the French never called for strikes in July & August when it was time for THEIR vacation.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 12:50 PM

Husband flew from Paris to Rome this morning. Not a single problem. However, he's supposed to be back Friday evening...not banking on that one going smoothly...!