Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Worth leaving Sevilla for a day trip to Cordoba?

Sep 4th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
We are arriving in Sevilla at 1:00PM by train on a Friday and leave Sevilla at 11:00AM for Granadab on the following Monday in October. Is it worth taking a day trip to Cordoba to see the Mezquita? Would it take up half a day or a full day? Is train the best way to go and if so should we reserve in advance? I visited the Mezquita in the 90s as a child and have vague memories but my husband hasn't been.
Thanks in advance!
Sep 4th, 2014, 11:18 AM

Why not leave early in the morning from Seville to go to Cordoba and then take a evening train from Cordoba to Granada on that Monday?
Sep 4th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Gosh, you certainly don't have much time in Sevilla, but I'd have to say that you should indeed take the train to Cordoba - we did this in 2012, and we all simply were amazed by it. Very much a contrast to anything else we saw in our 3 1/2 weeks in Spain that year. I wouldn't have missed it, but we did have more time than you do. We used a tour guide in Sevilla (a delightful lady recommended in the Rick Steves book - can't quite recall her name, though) and that was a terrific value - that would also make the most of your already short time in Sevilla.
I would also think - but others may know better - that you should book the trains ahead. Are you arriving in Sevilla by train? If so, then perhaps you might want to use the ticket kiosk as you arrive. It certainly would need most of a day, I believe, given the two train rides and the time to enjoy the Mezquita.
Hope this helps.
Sep 4th, 2014, 11:47 AM

There are two types of trains on that Sevilla-Cordoba route I believe - slower regional trains and high-speed AVE trains - not sure about the former but the latter, which are much faster, require a seat reservation when boarding - this automatically comes with your ticket - you may be able to score minor discounts on that short trip if you book in stone in advance but then -

you are stuck on returning on a train at a set time and once you get to Cordoba you may find you need more or less time, etc. so I'd just buy a flexible ticket - full fare ticket once in Seville. No problem getting on those trains IME - the very worst would be to have to go first-class if in the rare event all Seville-Cordoba trains were full in 2nd class.

For lots of great info on Spanish trains check these IMO superb sites: www.seat61.com - good info on discounted tickets; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

Perhaps bag Seville and stay instead in Cordoba the whole time - Cordoba can be easily seen in a few days but Seville has a whole lot more diverse things to see and do in a larger area - I'd do one or the other or as recommended above hit Cordoba on the day you are going by train to Granada - put your bags in the luggage storage in Cordoba's train station (I assume it is still there but always subject to being closed in times of terrorist threats, etc.
Sep 4th, 2014, 12:15 PM

With only 2-1/2 days, and tickets to Sevilla, I'd skip the day-trip to Cordoba and try to enjoy Sevilla while you can.
Sep 4th, 2014, 01:13 PM

To clarify my suggestion: Take a day's detour to Cordoba on your way to Granada.
Sep 4th, 2014, 02:27 PM

I agree with Michael's suggestion that you stop in Cordoba on your train trip from Seville to Granada. We did the reverse (Granada to Seville, with a stop in Cordoba) and had no trouble leaving our luggage, seeing the Mezquita, and finishing our train trip.
Sep 4th, 2014, 05:13 PM
kja

The bad news is that you don't have enough time to see everything you might want to see in either or both cities, no matter what you choose.

The good news is that you will see some wonderful things, no matter what you choose.

My recommendation: Identify the things you most want to see in each location, note their opening/closing times, and mark them on a calendar. Be sure to leave some time for transportation (and if you do decide to spend some time in Cordoba, I agree that you should do so en route from Sevilla to Granada). Then figure out what you would have to skip if you go to Cordoba and how that meshes with your priorities.
Sep 5th, 2014, 03:05 AM

With 2 1/2 days in Sevilla, I'd definitely would recommend to stay there and try to take in as much as you can of a fabulous city, the undisputed queen of the cities in the South.

But Córdoba really is something special, once the most advanced city in the western world and tons of charm. http://www.theguardian.com/spanish-t...-changed-world
Sep 5th, 2014, 04:15 AM

I spent a week in Sevilla not long ago and could not drag myself away for the day needed to make the trip to Cordoba. I had also been many years ago, but partner had not.
Sep 5th, 2014, 05:58 AM

short answer: absolutely!

longer answer: do some investigation of the train logistics - IMO the better idea would be the slower / flexible option where you do not pay for a reservation - then you can spend as much time as you want. I don't think even a slow train will be too long - it is not far. IMO it is better to go for a day, than on the way; we found storing luggage at the train station a problem for a big bag but that was ahile ago so maybe not a problem now.

As jo-ann says, the mezquita is amazing and pretty unique (is that an oxymoron?). I've been fortuate to see many many sights in Europe and that mezquita is definatly near the top of the list. You could see it and then head back to Sevilla or take more time to meander - I probably liked Cordoba better than Sevilla - smaller and had more charm IMO.

But GO, unless you think you are going to be back in that part of the world on another trip. It is a wonderful sight.
Sep 5th, 2014, 06:09 AM

probably a tautology, though I guess "pretty" is just redundant

I wouldn't spend time looking out Carmen's tobacco factory though