Cordoba or Seville ?

Search

Cordoba or Seville ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cordoba or Seville ?

In our upcoming trip to Madrid this May, we will have only one day to "spare", and are trying to figure out which city to visit from Madrid: Cordoba or Seville.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM

If your day is short due to the traveling time from Madrid, I would go for Cordoba. There is so much to see in Seville that unless your trains are early / late you will miss a lot of it. The old part of Cordoba (Mezquita, alcazabar, Jewish Quarter) is comfortably seen in a day.

Read about both on our blog

http://stumblebumstravels.blogspot.c...z-seville.html
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM

I agree with stumblebum. Cordoba is easily doable in a day, and visiting the Alcazar is a must, especially its gardens. I was there last May and will always remember the bright sun, very blue sky and the riot of color provided by flowering plants everywhere you looked.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Another vote for Cordoba.

The cathedral (former mosque) is outstanding and way beyond Sevilla's cathedral.

Strangely, Cordoba is not as touristy as Sevilla, although the attractions are far superior.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Another vote for Cordoba and the Mezquita.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

I was leaning towards Cordoba based on what I have read and seen so far, and three votes are enough reassurance for me ! .

Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:50 PM

How much time do you have in Madrid? If more than 2 days I would switch them to the south - IMHO much more interesting and tons more to see/do.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Another vote for Cordoba over Seville
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 04:47 AM

I agree with nytraveler.We just did Cordoba AND Sevilla and we and our group of 6 would have been very sad to have missed either.

They did not care for Madrid at all and loooved the south. I can not imagine missing Seville and it is easy to see both Cordoba and Seville with just two nights stay.

We even got in two wonderful flamenco shows in Seville. You can't miss the Mesquita, but I would book one more day because I don't think you have seen Spain if you have missed Seville ( one of the prettiest cities on the planet).

You will not see all of Seville and Cordoba in two night stay in Seville,but you can see a lot. I had two octogenarians with me and a 6 yo and we all had a blast.

I have info and pics on our blog:
http://www.soultravelers3.com/

I am not saying to eliminate Madrid,but can you spare one more day ,stay in the beautiful Santa Cruz area and then do Cordoba and Seville? They both have a small town feel and such rich history.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

We will have only 4 days - including day of arrival - in Spain before continuing on our trip to Italy. Our flight arrives in Madrid Sunday morning, and leaves for Florence on Thursday.

Eventhough we have never visited Spain before, we had the impression that Madrid is the must-do city in Spain, and everything else is bonus. For a moment we considered spending only two days in Madrid, and then one day each in Cordoba and Seville, but I am not sure if the trade off is worth it and in how much hurry we would have to be to do Madrid in two days and see enough of it.

Our main interest in Madrid is to see the museums (El Prado is an absolute must)and the Royal Palace, and for the rest of the trip we really want to experience the art, history, and the beauty of the cities.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM

It depends onyour tastes. Madrid is a very large. mostly modern cities with tons of skyscrapers - hot, loud and dirty. Also - a ton of nightlife which means packs of drunken young people singing their way home through the streets at 5am. (Frankly it reminded me more of Chicago than anyplace else.)

The Prado is a must. The Royal Palace is mildly interesting. But Sevilla, Cordoba and Granada show off the parts of Spain's history that is truly unique in europe - and to me are about 10 times more interesting than Madrid.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, cordovar,

if you search my name and madrid, you should come up with my recent trip report on madrid, which may help you with your planning.

I've never been to cordoba or seville, but having been to malaga and granada, I would tend to agree with OPs - if you can get to cordoba, do that at least.

if your only interest in madrid is the prado, it [and at a pinch the other two museums come to that,] can be done in a day. the palacio royal is nothing special compared to, for example, the alhambra.

madrid is a big capital city [attractive to us as we live in very rural cornwall] but I'd have gone to cordoba & seville like a shot if they had been alternatives.

hope this helps a bit,

regards, ann