Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Worth it to make sidetrip to Bath/Stonehenge?

Notices

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I will be in London for 5 nights....we're thinking of making a side trip out to Bath and to see the stones. Would it be worth it to go? and should we do an overnight in Bath if we do go?

Thanks!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 02:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
"Is it worth it" questions are impossible to answer. Bath is a "must" for lots of people, but w/ only 5 days in London, what are you willing to miss out seeing there?

Same for Stonehenge. An absolute must for some people, a yawn for others.

Have you been to London before? If not, as wonderful as Bath is, a day trip or overnighter out of London might not be the best choice.

If you are arriving after an overnight flight you won't do much your first day in London. So you'll really have 4+ days in the city. What things do you plan on visiting while there - which are you willing to skip?

See, "worth it" is relative. Bath is great - but London is worth much more than 4+ days. You make the call.

(if it were me, it was my first visit, and I only had 5 days - I wouldn't go to Bath. But that is just me)
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 02:46 PM

Bath is a beautiful town - the Roman Baths, the Georgian Architecture at the Crescent, and the Costume Museum are all worth visiting. It is an easy day trip from London (no need to overnight).

I've visited Stonehenge twice. The first time it didn't make an impression on me - looked like a bunch of rocks with a rope gate around them. The second time (my wife wanted to see it) we went to see it through a tour company which had an arrangement for us to have full and exclusive access (ie we coud go right up and touch the stones). Unlike the first visit, the ability to go right up and enter the monument had a completely different affect on me. It was truly moving. In short, unless you book this latter tour (which i found easily on the web) I wouldn't recommend going. The tour includes visiting Avebury and other sites too. We left at noon and returned back in London about 9:00.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 04:09 PM

We did a day trip from London that covered both Stonehenge and Bath, and it wasn't nearly enough time in Bath. I really, really enjoyed it and was surprised at how beautiful the city is. We've talked about going back for a full weekend sometime.

That said, if I only had 5 days in London, I'm not sure I would spend one of them traveling there. I'd been to London many times so was fine "giving up" a day to venture out, but probably wouldn't have been game for it my first trip. There's just so much to see and do!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM

We did a "day trip" from London to Bath, Lacock and Stonehenge. We also went into Stonehenge at dusk and got to "touch" the stones - Wonderful day trip and we consider it as one of the highlights of our trip. Pam
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 05:40 PM

I have been to London many times but only made it to Bath, Stonehenge, Avebury and Salisbury this spring and not as a day trip from London. As has been said there is a lot to do in London and I would not recomend this day trip on a first visit to London. They are all worth proper visit at some time.