Reload this Page >

World Snow Festival

Search

World Snow Festival

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 02:58 PM
cod

World Snow Festival

Has anyone been to the World Snow Festival in Grindelwald? We have been to Grindelwald in the summer and it was great. We would love to go in the winter, but have no intention of skiing or sledging etc (we are aged over 50 and have never done winter sports)So we would like to see Grindelwald in the snow and do some walks. Would the last four days of the festival be enough to see what's going on, and is it worth going to?

Old Oct 8th, 2004, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi cod,

I've been to Grindelwald in January twice, and really enjoyed it. I can't open the "World Snow Festival" link at the www.grindelwald.com page, so I don't know for sure what it is. However, both times I was there in Jan., there was an ice sculpting contest with teams from all over the world, and I really loved watching the sculptures progress from blobs to art through the week. Each team would post its national flag at its station, and it was very interesting to wander around to see who was doing what --

There's also a huge international ski race, the Lauberhorn, that takes place in January in neighboring Wengen. You could spend at least one day along the route watching some world-class skiers and participating in the atmosphere (watch Robert Redford's "Downhill Racer" to get a taste of the event). Because Grindelwald gets the spill-over of spectators for the race (usually mid-January), you may want to make your reservations early.

Even though I ski when I go to Grindelwald in January, I always spend at least one day walking -- and I always see some hikers along the trails when I ski. The officials keep the walking trails cleared, as winter walking/hiking is very popular (the only exception is immediately after a huge snowfall . . . ).

Hope this helps! Let me know if you'd like more info.

s
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Hi S! What you saw is exactly the festival

The last four days would be enough IMO. Honestly, I would not go only to see the festival. As S wrote, walking and enjoying the winter ambience is the reason!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM
cod

Thank you both so much. That makes up my mind for me, and so Grindelwald here we come. I hadn't realised the ski race would be on at the same time, so it seems there will be enough to keep us amused without the need to risk our necks skiing.We had a brilliant two weeks there with seven children this summer and did walks, paragliding, rafting etc. So it will be nice to see it in snow. minus (probably) children

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 02:20 AM

Hi cod,

Good choice! I suspect that, after seeing the Alpine villages covered in snow, you'll wonder why folks go there in the summer at all.

Well . . . ok, not quite. But it's very nice!

Anyway, the days for the Lauberhorn are 14-16 January, and this is the webiste http://www.lauberhorn.ch/ so you can line up specific programs if you'd like.

I also wanted to let you know that this year, the Lauberhorn had to be moved to the Dolomites because of lack of snow. There *was* snow on the ground, but unfortunately not enough for ski racers. Really really hope you don't get caught in a similar situation. I don't remember that ever happening before, so it was probably just an odd circumstance.

So -- have a great trip!

s