Looking for info/reviews of either Sheffield Ski Village or Xscape-Castleford

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My kids (will be 15 year old twins when we go) and I will be going to W. Yorkshire for a surprise 40th birthday bash, and Christmas/New Years, in '08.

My DS has requested a 'quick trip to Switzerland to snowboard', which is not quite in the travel plans or budget!!

In speaking with my friend who's turning the big 4-0 (he thinks we're coming after Christmas for just one week, we'll actually be there for 3 weeks), he mentioned both the Sheffield Ski Village and Xscape in Castleford. He's never been to either, but said I might want to check them out.

I've looked at both online, and the only major difference I can see is that one is indoors and one is outdoors.

If anyone out there in Fodorland has any experience with either of these, your input will be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:07 AM

I've not tried either, but a flannernephew has. Actually asked for a pass to the Castleford one as a present. It's the time of year when getting answers from students takes a week or so, so don't expect to get a review too fast.

But include Chill Factor E, at the Trafford Centre in Manchester, on your list of possibles. Pretty accessible (and prettily so) from Sheffield - as long as real snow doesn't close the roads, which usually hapens for a few days most winters. Looked good on the ads that were all over the North earlier this week.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Flanner...I'll look into that one as well!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:16 AM

BTW, there's an enormous difference between the three.

As far as I'm aware, Sheffield's a dry slope. In Britain, if it's outdoors, it has to be: real snow will melt instantly outdoors. Dry skiing is a useful aid in learning proper skiing or re-training yourself - but there's nothing else to be said for it, and an awful lot against. Falling over is vile. Some younger people quite like the adrenalin rush - but no 40 yo I've ever met sees dry slopes as anything other than a necessarily evil preparation for getting the best out of limited time in the Alps

Castleford is mostly artificial snow - but it's still snow. Falling over is almost tolerable. Trafford Park has lots, lots, more snow.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Good to know!

I'm sure they will enjoy cushioned snow much more, even if it's artificial!! I know that this almost 40 year old rear end will like that much more than the dry stuff!!