Search

"World" cities

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:34 AM
mpprh

"World" cities

Hi<BR><BR>I've been following the thread titled <BR>This strange obsession with Paris...<BR><BR>It seems to me there are cities, and there are "World cities".<BR><BR>From my experience, world cities are -<BR><BR>San Francisco<BR>Sydney<BR>London<BR>Berlin<BR>Seoul<B R>Tokyo<BR>Cairo<BR>Paris<BR>Rome<BR>Rio<BR><BR><B R>In order of number of letters !<BR><BR>Of course this is subjective,<BR><BR>Any comments ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:37 AM
xxx

You have Rio and you don't have NYC??<BR><BR>BTW, some people's obsession with Paris is almost frightening...

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Chrissy

There is already a huge post about this out there somewhere - might be on the US board. I think they were asking which US cities were world class, and of course lots of answers covered other worldwide cities so it would attempt to answer your question. Was very interesting, and of course opinionated.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:52 AM
REDRUM

I think that I would add Montreal and maybe even Toronto. Although it is a small city and I’ve never been there, I have European friends who rave about Santa Fe. The biggest shock to me was meeting a lady born and raised in Paris who told me the loveliest city in the USA is, hands down, Savannah, Georgia!<BR> Oh, I think I would also include Edinburg. <BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Belinda

Peter,<BR><BR>I live in SF so I appreciate your inclusion of it on this list. But having just returned from my first trip to NYC I have to say, while I'll take SF ANY DAY, NYC is the US's foremost world city.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:00 AM
jeff

Please don't forget to include Vienna.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:14 AM
mike

What attributes make a "world (class) city"?

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:36 PM
mark

Peter asked this on the "obsession with Paris" thread. I asked how he could leave NYC off his list.<BR><BR>Today, 05/18 - I went to the Turkish Parade on Madison Avenue then hopped over to 9th Ave + 43rd for the International Food Street Festival (20 blocks long). While there were your standard italian sausage - pad thai - lemonade - funnel cake vendors, there were also numerous "boutique" vendors. I sampled Indonesian lamb satay, Gascony styled frog legs, Greek pastries ( beyond bakalava ), Spanish chorizo, homade Mexican tamales.<BR><BR>Yesterday I went to Jean Georges for lunch then to the Bard Center of Design for a retrospective of modern Swedish design and architecture. In the middle of July the first American retrospective of Zsolnay Hungarian ceramics will open.<BR><BR>Only in NYC....now I'll stop bragging.

Old May 18th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Belinda

Mark, Here's an offer for you.....<BR>next time you are in SF I will show you around for a day if next time I'm in NYC you show me around.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:51 PM
mark

Belinda - you're on. I love SF - the belvederes and vistas are beautiful. I'm always looking for others to explore NYC with - many of my NYC friends don't travel beyond a 4 block radius of their apartment. There are days when I don't venture out of the neighborhood but now that the weather is getting nice and with my metro gold card I'm all over the city. Just got in from seeing Monsoon Wedding so I might go out to Jackson Heights tomorrow and wander around the Indian markets or maybe over to Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn for some Middle Eastern.

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:19 AM
linda

There is just 1 world city: Amsterdam, Paris is nice as well

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:44 AM
dirk

I vote for Amsterdam

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Maira

mpprh, I know you listed FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE, but a list of World cities that leave out NYC is an exercise in futility. <BR><BR>Mark--- I am with you; NYC is just out of league as a THE World-Class City.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:20 AM
xxx

New York City (OBVIOUSLY)

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:48 AM
mark

The one thing I bemoan about NYC (besides the high rents) is that there is no direct rail service from JFK or LGA. There is a monorail service from Newark Airport that connects to New Jersey Transit which goes to Penn Station.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Belinda

But Mark, the $35 fixed price taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan is not uncivilized. If you are serious about our reciprocal tours, email me.