Working in France

Apr 30th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Bricamb

Working in France

I would like to spend some time in Paris with the aim of improving my French and just getting to know the place and the people. In order to finance my stay, I'd appreciate any information on how to go about finding work there. My spoken French is OK but not fluent so I reckon my possibilities might be limited to manual/unskilled work. I currently work as an administrator. Thanks in advance

Apr 30th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Ron

www.paris-anglo.com has useful info.

Apr 30th, 2002, 06:21 AM
beth anderson

check out the American chamber of commerce there (or board of trade or whatever it's called).

I have the email address, website somewhere in my searches, if you can't find it email me and I will track it down.

can't hurt. good place to start research..

Beth

Apr 30th, 2002, 06:45 AM
mark

Dear Bricamb ,

If you do not have a European Passport then you will have extreme difficulty finding legally paid work in France.
I would suggest www.fusac.fr and www.paris-anglo.com

If you have a USA passport then your best bet would be to try & get bar work from one of the many ex pat bars over here , but be honest & clear in explaining that you do not have work papers.
Some employers will take the risk , this is usually reflected in the low salary that they will certainly pay.
It is not all doom & gloom however as you could work as a private english teacher , advertise yourself , & command a very respectable salary from private students. You do not necessarily have to be qualified as a teacher or speak french for that matter as most french students purely wish to practice their english.

best of luck

Mark
parishuttle

Apr 30th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Al

You may want to have a look at FUSAC also---- they have some job ads there.

http://www.fusac.fr/english/

Apr 30th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Bricamb

Thank you all for your replies. I actually have a UK passport so I don't think I'd need a work permit. I am just trying to gage the demand that there might be for my services(!)...although I feel I would be open to most offers if it allowed me to actually stay in Paris. I have also thought of translating my CV and sending it to Manpower France, Addeco etc.