Winter in Europe

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter in Europe

I'm an inexperienced traveler looking to take advantage of the cheap Winter rates to Europe. I've read many of the helpful posts about Winter travel to Europe but I'm looking for some specific information. I think I've narrowed my destination to either Zurich or Florence for a 2 week trip in January. I know Florence would be great but for some inexplicable reason I'm drawn to Zurich. Any info about either of these cities during the winter months would be appreciated.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:46 AM

If your choice is between Zurich and Florence, and you have not been to either city, then choose Florence. It's a very personal decision, of course, but I find Zurich very boring, and could not imagine choosing it over Florence.
I haven't been to either city in winter, but the climate would certainly be milder in Florence.

Unless you want to go skiing, in which case; definitely Switzerland.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 02:10 AM

Tulips is bang on. Two weeks in Zurich is something you would surely regret.

I spent a winter in Florence once; it is often overcast and sometimes puddles freeze, though I never saw snow. In those days there were a lot of unheated places -- a condition surely remedied since.

Winter is the only time I would visit Florence today, as the crowds abate somewhat.

You can certainly spend two weeks there if you plans little side trips to nearby towns -- Siena and Pisa, for ex.

If you go, you should definitely look into renting, via Internet, a little studio apartment rather than staying in a hotel -- it could be cheaper at that season and is much nicer for a long stay....
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:13 AM

It would be interesting if the two people above who apparently know you SO WELL that they can state that you'll "regret" your decision or that you'll be "bored" could have told you all the things that Florence has to offer besides visiting other towns.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Depending on exactly when you go, the "cheap winter rates" may apply only to airfare. The holiday season, into January, is considered high season for hotels....anything but cheap.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:11 AM

Hi Axxel,

Are you committed to staying in Zurich if you fly into the Zurich airport? I agree that simply staying in the city for two weeks may be overdoing it for a visitor.

But there's so much more to Switzerland, and particularly Switzerland in January, than you can find in Zurich. Wengen would be great, with the famous Lauberhorn ski race that takes place around 14-16 Jan; Luzern would be great; the Engadin towns of Guarda, Zuoz, or Pontrasina would be fantastic. You can ski, sled, crosscountry, or walk along alpine pastures.

Just my thoughts. Let me know if you'd like more info.

s
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Agree with Tulips but think two weeks in Florence is a lot unless you plan other trips. How about adding Rome or Venice?
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:21 AM

For me, two weeks in Florence would be a week too much; two weeks in Zurich would be two weeks too much. There are few places I've been in my travels that left me feeling colder and more disinterested than Zurich.

Surely there is a way in two weeks' time to see some of Switzerland and some of Italy - maybe even incorporating both Zurich and Florence? Can you fly into one and out of the other?
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 08:28 AM

I would choose Florence instead of Zurich for 2 weeks. Florence has alot to see and experience plus you can visit the nearby towns. It's a great medieval city with so much history. Not in the least the food and shopping are excellent. Zurich, while it seems nice, doesn't seem to have as much to offer as Florence does. I've been to Florence but not Zurich but Zurich never appealed to me to stay for 2 weeks.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all who responded to my post. The information was very helpfull. I think my big mistake is sticking to just one city during my stay. I think I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to create an itiniary from so many possible destinations. I should just spend a year traveling around Europe but I don't think the pay would be very good. I must impose again and ask how many cities should I visit during a 2 week period? I'm trying to keep my air/hotel budget under $2500. On average, how expensive is train travel?