Florence in December

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Florence in December

Is Florence still beutiful in late December? Are the vinyards good to visit at this time? How is the weather? Can you spend time outside walking around--having dinner on the patio?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:29 AM

We were in Florence the last week of November 2005. It was freezing. The vineyards are already picked by November. Florence is a wonderful city but you will need to dress very warm. There are plenty of inside restaurants which are nice. Many are not open outside at that time of year unless they have heaters. There were not many people in Florence at that time of year so won't have to fight the crowds.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Firenze is always beautiful, and the view of its red tile rooftops are just as compelling in the rain and snow as in the sunshine. And if you are going to be in Firenze at Christmastime, since the stores and churches are decked out with holiday garb.

Some of the cafes have outdoor heaters, but it can be very cold in Firenze, so don't expect to see lively, crowded piazzas if you sit outside. But if you are looking for la dolce vita and golden landscapes in the sunshine of Toscana, winter is not the time to go. The landscape is quite barren in winter, and often not visible because of fog and rain.

Personally, I adored being in Firenze in winter because my main purpose in going there was to get a close look at its art treasures. I had an unobstructed, quiet view of everything I wanted to see. I have plans to return to Firenze, and I intend to do it in winter.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:32 AM

I was there in Dec.04 and it was in the 40s and raining. Still a beautiful city despite that. The vineyards look like sticks in a row at that time of year.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:14 AM

I was also there the same week as 0311, and it was freezing. I usually have no problem with the cold (I live in NYC)but there was an arctic air front that was damp and frigid. Actually, Europe was unusually cold this winter. My DH and I were laughing about it just last night - I planned to do some shopping while there but little did I know I'd be shopping for hats, sweaters, scarves - I'd brought winter clothes but it wasn't enough. Anyway, Florence is wonderful - don't worry about the cold, just prepare for it!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM

It's cold and wet. But the real problem is that the days are very short. You spend most of your time groping around in the cold blackness. The vineyards a barren in December. You could have a chilly lunch on a patio if you could find one open, but not dinner. Forget it!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM
ira

Hi L,

Check out temps at www.weather.com.

Wine harvest is in Sept.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:55 PM

I'm orginally from northern CA and I have spent the last two winters in Florence and it's really cold to me. This year I was armed with several down coats and it makes all the difference in the world. Dinner on the patio is a no-go, but mid-afternoon coffee outside in a piazza cafe' is sometimes possible, as they have heaters. Days are irritatingly short, but flights are much cheaper and tourists are scarce. But the food and art are as great as in summer, though admitedly the city takes on a completely different level of beauty when its earth-toned structures are bathed in sunlight.