Wineries 1 hour from Paris

Sep 1st, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Wineries 1 hour from Paris

Can anyone suggest a good winery that is only and hour or less from Paris? Some of the better ones like Burgundy are over 2 hours away. This will be our 1st trip to Paris so i am trying to plan ahead.

thanks for any input.. .
Sep 1st, 2005, 09:25 AM
RJD

Not sure I understand the question. Do you want to do a day trip to a vinyard?
By car or train?
You might make a day trip to Champagne which is east of Paris. But even that would be tough.
Why not do a trip to Beaune for a few days. That you would enjoy.
Sep 1st, 2005, 09:39 AM

You could take a TGV to Dijon (1h30 no strain)and then rent a car at the railway station and go for a wine tour, and then go back to Paris in the evening.
I wouldn't go down by car, too tiring!
And that's a pity to spend only a day to see all those beauties....

have a great trip!
corinne
www.myhomeindijon.com
Sep 1st, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

HI .. thanks for all the good suggestions. I guess i should provide a little more info about our trip. We will be staying in Paris for 8 days, 4 or which we will be renting a car. I figure there is so much to see in Paris that for the 1st half of the trip we will not need a car inside Paris. Then we are renting a car to travel outside of Paris and experience some of the country side. We may never get to France again in our lifetimes so we want to see the most we can. So i was looking on line to see if there was a winery that was close enough to Paris that we could visit and see the country side without being a car for 4 - 6 hours, esp after sampling some really good wine.. I would love to stay in a place outside of Paris but we already made our arrangments.
Any thought?
thanks
Sep 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM
ira

Hi PK,

Am I correct that you will be in Paris for 8 days, you will rent a car for 4 days with which you will make daytrips out of Paris and return?

A car is not the way to do this.

Can you not make reservations outside Paris and cancel 4 of the days of your stay in the city?

Sep 1st, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira
you are correct... we will make day trips out of Paris... one day to play golf, one to visit Monet Gardens and i would like to visit a winery...
unfortunately we can not change our plans without losing some money. I realize that it would have been better the other way but the car was a last minute thought...
so did i make more difficult for myself.... ???
Sep 1st, 2005, 12:33 PM

the closest wineries and extensive vineyards to Paris are probably just east of Meaux, about 30 miles east of Paris, along the Marne River - the beginning of Champagne country - the Marne River valley in this area is very cute, laced with vineyards and wine houses (announced by a 'degustation' or 'tasting' sign out front.
the closest vineyard to Paris is in Paris at Montmartre, but this is a postage-stamp operation and no winery there.
Sep 1st, 2005, 01:38 PM

Paris is a large urban capital city. I don't think there are vineyards with really great wines within 60 minutes (or less?)of it. It could take you that long just to get out of the city if you are in the center.
Sep 1st, 2005, 01:39 PM

I just was thinking that if you mainly want to sample really great wines, I think it would be better to go to a good winebar in Paris, of which there are many.
Sep 1st, 2005, 01:58 PM

Or Vinopolis or whatever it's called in Bercy - in old converted sheds that once were wine storehouses - now a Wine City of sorts showcasing French wines.

Search this Thread