Senlis as a base for one day in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from Bruges to Alsace with a car over several days and based on the excellent reportage of Kerouac and French Mystique I've found Pierrefonds and Chantilly to be very attractive way points. While Paris wasn't originally in our plans, if we are seeing Chantilly it would be daft not to pop down to Paris for a day to show our teen aged boys a couple of highlights.

Would Senlis be a good base for 2 nights as a place to sleep between our 1 long day in Paris? It seems we could drive to the Chantilly train station to catch the train? The next morning we could get an early start to the Chateau at Chantilly before heading to Pierrefonds and overnighting in Reims. (Two very tiring days but then we could sleep-in the next day in Reims).

It would be better of course to see Pierrefonds on the way from Bruges and split the two chateaux between days, but this may not be possible.

Is there anyplace we might consider besides Senlis for our brief stay?
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:12 PM

I stayed in Senlis once and enjoyed the town. There is a lot to do in the area are you sure you want to take the trip to Paris from Chantilly? You could drive to Compeigne, explore the town and the replica historic railway car.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/11/02...rom.html?_r=1&

I think there's also a report on Compeigne from either kerouac or frenchmystiquetours.
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you are driving, you might as well drive to Paris from Senlis rather than going to a train station for a day trip. Really, Paris is no more scary than any other city if you have a car, and the drivers are extremely tolerant compared to most other places.
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Ha, yes of course kerouac that would make more sense. It would put the car to the best use!

Thanks adrienne, Compeigne looks beautiful and may work although it's a little farther from Paris. Or are you suggesting we visit Compienge instead of Paris?
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:01 PM

<< Or are you suggesting we visit Compienge instead of Paris? >>

Yes - an alternative to Paris since you're already outside of Paris. There's a chateau with a coach house and the town has half timbered buildings. It looks very different from Chantilly.
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:09 PM

There is a lot to see and do near Chantilly/Senlis/Compiègne but it really depends on whether you want to explore this area or go to Paris. Kind of a personal choice really. I'm assuming you've seen my trip reports about exploring that area but if not here's the one about Chantilly, Senlis and environs:

http://tinyurl.com/dy9ulob

And here's the one about Compiègne, Pierrefonds and environs:

http://tinyurl.com/7edejbz

No matter what you do you won't be disappointed so have a good time.
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"Really, Paris is no more scary than any other city if you have a car..."

True kerouac, except perhaps for that excursion around the Arc du Triomphe or maybe finding yourself in a bus/taxi lane (but I assume the latter might have been a "me" problem). I will say driving in Paris was exhilarating.

Old May 10th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks FrenchMystique, I've read your excellent reports.

I'm surprised Paris isn't getting more love. At this point to maintain family harmony Paris will stay on the schedule.

I would like to see the area around Compiègne as well, but the only wiggle-room I have at this point would be to cut out an overnight in Nancy on the way to Alsace. We were going to see the light show in Place Stanislas one night. I figure this is another no-lose choice. I'll study the charms of Compiègne more carefully.
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac, now I remember why I had thought of talking a train into Paris from Senlis. If we drive into Paris on a Tuesday at 8am or so it seems we would be hitting peak rush-hour traffic. Is this wise?
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you go just a tiny bit before 8am, you can miss the worst of the traffic -- just so long as there is not an accident.
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:43 PM

If there are 4 of you the car is likely cheaper than the train (16.40€ pp round trip from Chantilly) into Paris, even with parking and fuel costs. However, avoiding the morning and evening rush hours is the key to driving into and out of Paris. Accidents are the unpredictable factor.
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help so far. After looking more closely I'm satisfied that Senlis will satisfy us. I think I will cut our night in Nancy and stay 3 nights there. Senlis seems like a good choice vs Compiègne as we'll be day-tripping and the smaller town looks like a good place to relax after the busy days out.

Coming from a full day in Gent we'll arrive in Senlis in the evening, maybe after having dinner somewhere on the way (now that my itinerary is nearly set I get to look for restaurants - oh goody).

1) Full day Paris - maybe leave after 9am to miss rush hour?
2) Full day Chantilly
3) Early start - Pierrefonds am and either Laon or Compiègne before overnight in Reims to catch the Cathedral light show.
4) Lunch in Nancy then on to Alsace

Senlis seems a good base for this plan, but I'd welcome other options. Compiègne seems maybe a tad modern compared to Senlis - maybe?

FMT - accidents and tickets!
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:40 PM

Good Senlis restaurant: Le Commerce. Nice friendly local place.
Old May 11th, 2013, 02:18 AM

Compiègne is a larger town and on its outskirts it is modern but the central section is older and quite nice. It's a fairly posh and wealthy town. Senlis is much more medieval feeling than Compiègne and it's a smaller town too, but also fairly posh and wealthy. Make sure you have your Michelin maps and when possible try to drive on the designated scenic roads and use the map icons for châteaux and ruins to incorporate some scenic stops/drive-bys into your wanderings. Driving on the small white country roads shown on the map and passing through tiny, anonymous villages is always best if you have time to wander.

Here's another of my reports that covers Laon and areas south of there: http://tinyurl.com/cqst5xz

A quick peak at Septmonts and it's château ruin (just south of Soissons) might be nice.
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks FMT, I had not seen you report on the area south of Laon. Septmonts is such a great suggestion for me, it looks perfect! A great compliment to Chateau Chantilly. It gives me hope that the afternoon/evening between Pierrefonds and Reims will be full of equally wonderful surprises. We don't need to be in Reims until 9pm or so, which will give us a little time to explore.

The report on the Laon area is terrific. Your visit to Château de Montigny reminded me of the ruins we have in the US (although not as well built, the atmosphere seems the same). A couple of years ago I visited a spiritual twin of Château de Montigny, the Thompson Motel in Thompson Utah.

http://goo.gl/maps/b2G5Y
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:57 AM

I think you can take a pass on the Château de Montigny but there certainly are plenty of other gems you'll find in that area.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Ha ha, I wasn't considering going to see Château de Montigny as your wonderful description of it is quite enough for me. Likewise no recommendation for the Thompson Motel.