Wine on flights to/from

Search

Wine on flights to/from

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wine on flights to/from

Hi all, my sisters and their husbands are meeting us in Copenhagen flying from Paris. Do they have duty-free at the airport where you can buy wine to take on-board or because it's part of the European Union would you have to pack it in your checked luggage or if you can't take it on board, can you buy decent wines in Copenhagen?
Thanks,
Som
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM

You posted a few days ago on this same subject. What about the responses you got did you not like?
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
To find all your threads/posts -- click on your name.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

I posted on the Belgium site for myself but my sisters are flying from Paris and were wondering if duty free etc. was different than flying from Brussels. Paris may have duty free being a larger airport than Brussels???
Som
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Surely you cannot buy duty free if you are traveling from one part of EU to another. I'm very sure you cannot.

Copenhagen has wine
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 01:33 PM
J62

What kind of wine are you looking for?

Here in rural US I can buy wine from just about any corner of the globe, with may a good bottle to be had for less than $10 or $15. Wine is shipped around the world.

I'm sure you can find good European wine just about anywhere in Europe, including Denmark.

If they have purchased any wine in France they will need to place it in their checked baggage.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Munich's airport had the small bottles of wine for sale after security check. I never saw that before.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I posted on the Belgium site . .</i>

Just to clarify -- there is no "Belgium site" -- just Europe. Threads can be tagged for specific countries -- but they are all in 'Europe'. That is how we saw both of your threads.

(the rules would be the same in any case)
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just a wild guess, but I'm pretty sure you can buy decent wines in Copenhagen. Is is something special from France you're looking for?
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Nothing special but I heard that the wines in Copenhagen were more expensive and not as good so I wondered if you could buy wine (I guess duty free doesn't apply in the European Union) after the security check at either airport. Princess allows one bottle per person on their ships and we want to take advantage of that.
Judyrem noticed this at Munich's Airport so maybe other airports have it also?
Just asking as I don't know Europe's rules...
Som
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Not sure about travel within the EU... but flying to CPH from the US, there is an inbound duty free shop available at arrival. The selection was pretty good (decent picnic wines, but nothing outstanding). Prices were reasonable.

That said, the selection of French wine was a bit limited (there was a fair amount of South African, Chilean, Californian).
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM

Forget duty free - genuine duty free between EU member states was abolished years ago. You may still see a limited selection of wine in the airport duty free shops, but depending on the EU countries involved, you'll either not be able to buy it for an inter-European flight (they check your boardning pass) or you'll be charged a price including the duty.

This in no way stops you taking full advantage of retail price differences for wine in EU countries. I've not been to Denmark, but I can well believe that wine is more expensive here than in France. Simply visit a French supermarket and buy a bottle each, then put it in your checked luggage.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Every European airport has socalled TravelValue and Duty Free Shops after security check. They have wines which can be bought regardless of your flight destination. The price is the same regardless whether you are flying within the EU or outside the EU. While spirits are usually significantly cheaper in these stores, wines have about the same prices as in retail shops.

Denmark is the worst country in Europe to buy wines - limited selection, dubious quality and high prices. The TravelValue/Duty Free shop will be the best opportunity to buy wines if it should be Denmark.

The wine bottles will be sealed in a plastic bag and you take it onboard. However, if you change planes after the first flight the bottles will be confiscated at security checkpoints.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:06 AM

I have to disagree with Echnaton... Denmark is far better for wine selection and pricing than Norway or Iceland...
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all; I bought some neat bubble wrap in the shape of a wine bottle specially made for them and my husband brought one from Kelowna in his checked luggage and it was sealed tight and in tact! So I will buy a couple of bottles in France and check it; but if available at the airport after security I'll buy some more. Also will buy some in the ports we stop in on our cruise....

Som