Brussels Restaurant

Search

Brussels Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brussels Restaurant

I know there are lots of postings for Restaurant s in Brussels but it has not made it any easier , to make a decision , I would appreciate any recommendations for a party of four celebrating my mothers 75th Birthday with a budget of about 35 euros per head my preference would be for a Belgian/French Restaurant with a bit of a buxx.
Thanks
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:25 AM

I would be happy to suggest favorite restaurants here in Brussels but I have NO clue what "a bit of buxx" is. Enlightenment please!!
Also, would the 35 euro per head include wine or is that figure exclusive of beverages? And do you want dinner or would a festive lunch work as well? (You get find better prices at lunch.)
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:25 AM

Do you mean buzz?
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi BTilke,
By Buzz I mean I want it to quite lively with lots of regulars eating and with busy athmostphere , the 35 euros including wine if possible we are staying at the Hotel Amigo so somewhere near there would be ideal , maybe within a 10 minute walk ,
Thanks and look forward to your suggestions,
Donie .
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Im still waiting ,for a reply for my week-end in Brussels 12th December , whats happened to BTilke
Donie
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 06:38 AM

A restaurant with a lot of buzz and in the centre of Brussels, just off the Grand Place is Chez Leon. Mostly does Mussels, but I'm pretty sure they do other things too. Ask at the hotel for directions.
Laura
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Donie, I'm thinking, I'm thinking! And the site has been erratic the last few days. Sorry for the delay.
A few suggestions:
1. My number one recommendation would be Les Brasseries Georges on the corner of the Avenue Winston Churchill and Chaussee de Waterloo. It's a great place, a real Brussels favorite and off the tourist path. It's moderately priced but can quickly soar to expensive if you decide to go all out and order the top items on the menu, several bottles of wine, etc. Best values are for lunch. Sunday lunch there (around 1 to 3 pm) is one of THE places for well heeled Belgians, expats, diplomats, etc. and you will see many couples having lunch with their maman (and it's next door to an upscale retiree apartment complex). There is a definite buzz! Reservations absolutely required and dress is very nice casual or business. Tell them about your mother's birthday when you reserve; you will be treated very well. (www.brasseriesgeorges.be)
2. Lola on the Sablon also has a lot of buzz. Again, it's rather expensive for dinner, but excellent lunch values. Reservations highly suggested.
3. For dinner, L'Arrossoir ("watering can&quot on the Rue Haute (Hoogstraat) is very nice and not too expensive.
Re Leon's, sorry, but I can't recommend that for your mother's birthday dinner. It's very touristy and while there is a "buzz", I don't think it's the right kind. Also, meals tend to be rushed there--the place depends on fast turnover to make money. We eat there from time to time, but it's not a place I would go for a special celebration.
Belga Queen is one of the top restaurants in your area, but it's quite expensive and a little too trendy for your needs (IMHO).
Unfortunately, none of the places I would find suitable are within walking distance of your hotel. The Hotel Amigo is great for seeing the Grand'Place, but that also means the restaurants around there are very tourist oriented.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 05:21 PM

Any good restaurants for a late New Years Eve meal? Thanks?
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

BTilke .
Great suggestions and I will go with your first one , I agree with you on Belga Queen being to trendy having had a look on the website,
Thank You so Much ,
Regards
Donie.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:56 AM

Have a lovely time. You *can* get there by mass transit, but with four of you, a taxi is recommended. And to make sure you get a good taxi (and very nice driver), I'm passing on one of my Brussels tips--book your cab ahead of time with Monsieur Habib, owner of "Your Taxi in Brussels." It's a brand new Mercedes in spotless condition. He works mostly by appointment. His GSM (cell phone) number is 32 (0) 495 505 237. From the U.S., you would dial 011 32 495 505 237. From Brussels, dial 0 495 505 237. Call a day or two ahead. You could also arrange for him to take you home as well--and I hope it's ok for all four of you to squeeze into the cab. I believe he speaks some English and he has many American/British/Canadian customers
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

BTilke.
Thats very kind of you , and your taxi suggestion is a great help, I do have one more question , have you been to Tongren and is it worth going there for the Antique Market on a Sunday morning ??
Regards
Donie.