Belgian delights

Nov 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Belgian delights

Hi all

I am heading to Belgium for 6 nights over the Thanksgiving hols. I will be in Bruges for 4 nights and Brussels for two nights. Day trips to Ghent, Ieper and probably Antwerp, time permitting.

I know that beer and chocolate are must-haves (not at the same time, presumably). I also will have moules and frites of course. Any other delicacies? I'm not hugely into seafood but I like what I like (and I like moules!).

Of the above categories and locations, what are the "must seek out" places - whether it be a specific brewery, store, or restaurant?

I've had a number of different Belgian beers so I would like to seek out those which I won't easily find outside of Belgium. I like Chimay, Leffe, and Lambics if that gives anyone reading this an idea of what I do like. Historical breweries/interesting tours would be a bonus regardless of world-wide reknown.

For chocolate - those less easily found in the US would be good to know. I have had Leonidas, for instance. Most chocolate is good chocolate (milk chocolate and Hersheys notwithstanding - blech) so I am easy to please there. I'll bring home chocolates as gifts, too.

Many thanks. I hope this thread takes off and is helpful to others who are looking for good things to eat in Belgium!
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM

You may enjoy a visit to the traditional Cantillon Brewery in Brussels, where they brew the traditional gueuze.

Visit www.cantillo.be for more info
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:20 AM
tod

Leffe is my all time fav beer and it's all I drink in Paris when not consuming wine.
Have a wonderful trip!
PS. My daughter in law was blown away by your photographs - and she's GOOD!
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:34 AM
yk

De Halve Moon brewery is right in Bruges. They offer English guided tour through its old and creaky brewery.
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:54 AM

Definitely the Halve Maan brewery - one of the highlights of our trip. The Bruges Zot beer that they brew is great. I have similar tastes in beer as you, so you will probably like it too.

My husband really liked the Rochfort beers - they were a bit heavy for me though. I thought they were good, but couldn't see drinking a whole glass. I enjoyed sampling his though.
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:01 AM

Not sure if you like wheat beer. Hoegaarden, althought easily available outside Belgium, is great on tap. Seldom do I see Hoegaarden on tap outside Belguim. I've been to Belgiun a few times, and there are always seasonal beers available. Check some of the Christmas brews, hopefully they will be available at the end of November. Once I had a Christmas brew that flavoured with cinnamon, nutmeg and other festive spices.

As for chocolate, I volunteer to sample any Belgian chocolates and I'll tell you what's good! lol.

Neuhaus makes a chocolate with a cream filling, that is only sold in Belguim, sorry, I don't know the name of the chocolate but it is worth trying. Hopefully, another fodorite will know what these chocolates are called.

Don't forget to munch on some Belgian waffles.
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM

should read...I had a Christmas brew that was flovoured with cinnamon, nutmeg and other festive spices.
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM

The Bruges Zot topped my list of beers in Belgium.
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Hey, thanks everyone! I knew this would get some good comments. Mmmmm, chocolate. Mmmmm, beer. To think I hated beer until I had "real" beer.

I finalized my Bruges B&B - I'm staying at the Absoluut Verhulst based on reports here and TA. I'm also staying at the Dixseptieme in Brussels - I know yk has stayed at both places, too.

I've also made some enquiries regarding Ieper battlefield tours. I just don't want to get rained out (like I did visiting Conimbriga in Portugal - dreadful, dreadful touring day). I see Quasimodo tours will pick you up in Bruges, which is a bonus. It's 55E for the entire day - 9 to 5 PM - including the transportation. I saw other ones online for 35E for part day tours and you have to get yourself to Ieper so this sounds like a good deal. I'll research more for quality, but, for convenience and price Quasimodo sounds great.

Thanks again!
Nov 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

tod - I was going to send you an email but I see you don't have one listed on your main profile page. Thank you for the compliment, and please pass that on to your daughter!

I'm going to start a trip report on the recent London trip soon, maybe even before I finish the Normandy one.
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM

flygirl, have fun in Belgium! Lovely country, friendly people, fantastic food and beer. I've never had a bad meal there. Belgian chocolate is awesome. ;-)
Nov 4th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone!

I've also gotten good tips on TA and some foodie friends.

I'll post the list later and report back when I am home.