Search

A few specific questions re: Barcelona, Sevilla, AVE train and Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few specific questions re: Barcelona, Sevilla, AVE train and Madrid

Hello everyone.
I am hoping some of the experienced Spain travelers can provide some insight. I am traveling to Spain for the first time in OCT (fast approaching!) and am trying to set the details of my plan.
My questions (which may seem odd to some I am sure):

1. My flight is due to arrive in Barcelona in the early evening. I plan to take the Aerobus to Placa de Catalunya and then walk to my accomodation from there to the Eixample area (C/Diputacio). From looking online there appear to be continuous sidewalks, and as it should be between 7pm and 8pm, I think this an okay pedestrian route. Any thoughts?

2. I will be taking the AVE train from Sevilla to Madrid. It looks like the Santa Justa train station is a good 30 minute walk (if I don't get lost) from the apartment I will be renting off C/Arfe. There looks like there is a bus that could connect with a second one and proceed to the station area, but I think probably a taxi is best here. I'm guessing a 15 minute drive to the station and at least 30 minutes for check-in and finding the platform....so if I need a taxi at 9:45 am on a thursday what are the chances I can go out to the street (C/Arfe) and wave one down? Better to call one, that morning or the night before? Anyone know a reliable company? Any guesses on what the fare would be? Yes, you can see I am afraid of missing my train.

3. I have a ticket for the AVE train (after many, many tries). I had to resize the ticket PDF so all the numbers would fit on the print-out. Of course that resized the bar code too. I assume it will still work though. I don't really have to print it at "100% on A4 paper" like the site says, do I? Anyone have trouble with theirs?

4. I like to travel with my swiss army knife; it really has come in handy in the past. I understand you must go through airport-type security for the AVE. Am I going to have trouble with the knife in my bag, are they likely to confiscate it?

5. When I arrive in Madrid I plan to walk to my accomodation. It was difficult to see a pedestrian route online. I assume there are appropriate sidewalks around the RENFE ATOCHA station and heading down C/Atocha. Can someone reassure me?

6. Finally, for my 7am flight out of madrid I assume I need to leave for the airport around 4 am (1hr travel, 2hr check-in). I recently read about a new bus, the Expres Aeropuerto, that runs 24 hrs a day and that I can get at Atocha train station. Safety issues walking down C/Atocha to the train station that early in the morning? I found information that the bus runs every 30 minutes from midnight to 6am, but no timetable to say at what times....on the hour, 15 past the hour? Anyone know the schedule? I believe I saw some information about a shuttle as well. The shuttle had good reviews in the past but a fair number of bad reviews (unreliable service) recently. Anyone use Aerocity shuttle recently, is looking into an Aerocity shuttle from the hotel to the airport a better idea?

That's a longer entry than I thought, sorry. Well, any thoughts? Thank you.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM

I guess there was little thought about planning ahead...

You're probably better off carrying your trusted Swiss Army knife in your pocket than into the screened luggage, but you never know what the GC will do.

Good luck!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 07:44 PM

hmmm ... that knife might give you more headaches than you want. In checked luggage, ok. Carry-on? not that easy.

We had ours confiscated in CDG (we had carry-on only), along with shampoo and shaving cream .... go figure! (not!)

Can't really help with Barcelona or Sevilla, but we took the AVE from Cordoba to Madrid and it was a pleasure. Yes, you do get your luggage screened, but we did not have any problems (shampoo and shaving crean were in that luggage - no knife this time). We took a cab to our hotel (Plaza Sta Ana area), which seemed close enough to Atocha, but we are too lazy to walk that distance ...
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM

knife in checked luggage only!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM

I had a pair of scissors in my carry on once. got through security here no problem. when I was boarding in L.A. to return home, they took my scissors away Don't travel with your knife on you, it will likely get confiscated as others here are saying.

yes, there are sidewalks around Atocha. can't really tell you about safety however at that time of morning. I can't help you with your other questions, although Eixample is a nice area. Placa Catalunya is likely busier and perhaps a bit "riskier" to walk with luggage? that was my brief impression of the area. and, if I recall correctly, that's a bit of a hike between those two spots!! I hope you're fit. I know that I could not walk all that.

enjoy your trip!!
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Here are some answers to some of your numbered questions, based on my experience:

2- Santa Justa station in Sevilla: from c/ Arfe, it is walkable if you are traveling light (small bag or carry-on size), but I would not want to do this while dragging a large suitcase even if it had wheels. A 30 min walk sounds about right.

A taxi is a better option (and also inexpensive). You can easily flag them down, and you will not have any problems finding one at your time of interest. Once I had to get to San Pablo airport (SVQ) at 6 am and even at that early hour, it was easy to find one. The fare from Arfe to Santa Justa IME will likely be around 6 to 8 euros total. Super easy.

3- AVE ticket: I have always had mine printed on a 8.5 x 11 in sheet of paper (slightly re-sized) and it is not a problem at all, even for scanning the bar code. The important thing though, is NOT to trim or cut the page at all, thereby maintaining its integrity.

4- You will find that the security/bag scanning process at the train station is not as extensive as what you find at airports. There are x-ray machines for bags only. Passengers just walk in without going through body scanners.

5- Yes there are sidewalks around the Atocha station in Madrid. As I recall, there are also underground passages to get across the major intersection at the station, making things easier. (maybe someone can confirm this last point)
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Santa Justa station isn't very big. We arrived about 30 minutes early and had time for a quick snack. So your timing should be fine barring any unusual happening.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 09:55 AM

nowtraveler-- Regarding Item No. 1: yes, I walked this stretch many times and the sidewalks to/from Placa de Cataluyna are very wide and easily demarcated. Just adhere carefully to proper crossing points.

Item No. 2: Easy to walk it but be aware that a 30 minute rolling of suitcases on Sevilla streets will place a burden on your luggae wheels. Taxi to Santa Justa if already in bad shape; head out to a nearby hotel to call you a (safe) taxi.

Item No. 3: this depends on bar code reader; some can pick up very narrow, small codes; others cannot. Maybe that is why the site is so specific about the actual size of the bar code. I would adhere to the specifications you were given...A4 paper size is 8.27 X 11.69 inches versus American standard 8.5 x 11. Just "play" with the header/top space so that the bottom fit (abvioulsy the width is almost exact as Standard Letter size).

Item No. 4: why risk it?

Items No. 5 and 6. The sourroundings of Atocha are a bit seedy. Be careful and aware of your surroundings. There is safety in numbers.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 10:08 AM

No problem. Just be prepared to have LOTS of people on the streets at that hour. Diputació runs all across Eixample. I'd check if your accomodation really is in walking distance from Catalunya (i.e. check crossroads). Sidewalks in BCN are extremely easy to navigate with luggage as all intersections are "barrier-free".

As kanadajin explained, security at train stations for AVE trains only scans luggage for explosives. You don't walk thru a scanner yourself. It's a matter of seconds to pass a security checkpoint.

In May, there was still some construction going on on the outside of Atocha station. Some pedestrian routes had been detoured, though well signposted. If your hotel is near a metro station it may be easiest, though, to take the metro even just for two stops since you can walk without stairs from the AVE section of Atocha to the inbound metro platform. And it costs just €1.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies.

So it seems walking to Barcelona and Madrid hotels is reasonable; easy and best to get a taxi to Santa Justa in Sevilla; pocketknife probably ok with train (especially if on person) as only bag, not person, goes through security (of course I always put my pocketknife only in checked airline baggage); slightly size adjusted print-out of AVE ticket should be fine.

Regarding transport to the airport from Madrid early in the am (4:30ish)...seems the new 24hr bus may not stop at Atocha during "night hours"....so the aerocity shuttle may be the way to go...again I wonder if anyone has had recent experience with the Aerocity shuttle in Madrid? From reading it seems taxi fare would be about 45 euro to the Madrid airport?

Thank you kanadajin, viajero2 and cowboy1968 for the helpful information. I think my plans will work out okay.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM

I have taken taxis TO Barajas airport, and Aerocity FROM the airport into town. Regarding taxi fare, early morning should be very easy traffic-wise. I had 2 recent early morning taxi runs to the airport (around 7 am). The first one was from Puerta de Alcala (near Retiro park) where the driver went down c/ Velazquez and into the long tunnel leading to a motorway (I do not quite remember the name - av . de Americas?) and the fare was 22 euros all-inclusive (airport surcharge and rounded-off tip). The second time was form Plaza de Espana, going down Gran Via and continuing straight on O'Donnell and on to the freeway, and the fare that time came to around 27 euros all-in if my memory serves me right. Both times I just went out and flagged them down right on the street - they were plentiful.

Regarding Aerocity, I have had excellent service every time but have never used them to get TO the airport, as mentionned above. I'm sure others will chime in on that one.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Plenty of sidewalks from Atocha train station up C/Atocha.

Taxi to Barajas airport in Madrid would be some 25€ and takes som 20-25 mins.

Recommend also a taxi for going to the Santa Justa train station in Sevilla. Will cost you 5-6€ and take 5-10 mins. C/Arfe is a great location, and you'll find taxis running through Calle Adriano close by all the time. Lots of nice bars, restaurants, cafés etc in the area. I have a soft spot for Mesón Serranito in C/ Antonia Díaz. You are also close to excellent Enrique Becerra.
http://azahar-sevilla.com/sevilletap...rique-becerra/