Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will be in Ireland 13 days - help please with itinerary and also suggestions for books/movies before we go

Search

Will be in Ireland 13 days - help please with itinerary and also suggestions for books/movies before we go

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I (late 50's) are flying into Dublin - will arrive morning of April 1 and depart from there April 14th. Traveling on a budget - I am more into cities than he is but we both love natural beauty, small towns, unique shopping (me), historical sites and eating in small out of the way places - not into expensive restaurants.

Just for a little background - went to Scotland about five years ago and really enjoyed staying in a bb in Nairn outside of Inverness, then Ullapool and outer Hebrides, and Isle of Skye. Would like to get some of the same type experience on this trip

I have been doing some research - unfortunately I realize we will be gone over Easter weekend (April 12th) I think we will have time to make a trip around the island. At first I thought we should drive up eastern coast and then west and south and back to Dublin. From what I have read seems as if Northern Ireland and nw coast of Republic of Ireland are not as high on the tourism popularity list as the rest of the coastal areas. So now I am thinking we should leave the northern part of the country for the end of our trip, hopefully Easter weekend travel will not impact that area as much. Thoughts?

I was thinking of picking up car at airport and then driving south

Also – I love to knit – any place special to buy yarn. Also appreciate local arts and crafts very much and would like any advice on great galleries, shops etc.

Do you think we need reservations for overnight accommodations or should we be able to wing it?

Would appreciate any advice on best car rental agencies to deal with

Here is my first attempt at itinerary Would really appreciate comments, criticisms, suggestions for places to stay (towns as well as specifics)

04/01/09 Wed Arrive Dublin 8:40 am
Drive to Glendalough and visit monastery (37 miles), stopping at Roundwood on the way. Spend the night somewhere in this area

04/02/09 Thu
Drive to Kilkenny. (67 miles from Glendalough) Spend the day there and the night On the way to Kilkenny stop in Leighlinbridge to see Black Castle

04/03/09 Fri
Drive through Cashel (see Rock of Cashel) then Cahir (castle) and then to Lismore (Lismore is 76 miles from Kilkenny) Then drive to Cork and spend the night

04/04/09 Sat 04/05/09 Sun
See Blarney Stone, drive the coast from Kinsale to Skibberdeen and then spend two nights in Kenmare or Killarney – where would you recommend. During the day on Sunday do the Ring of Kerry

04/06/09 Mon 04/07/09 Tuesday 04/08/09 Wednesday
On the way on Monday morning go to Blasket Island Then drive to somewhere around Galway and spend three nights Will see the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Clifden and other sights What town should we stay in? I read somewhere there is a lot of music in Doolin.

04/09/09 Thursday 04/10/09 Friday
Spend the days driving around the northwest – not sure where to stay. Any must see sights

04/11/09 Saturday 04/12/09 Sunday
Spend two days in Northern Ireland – have read a lot about how beautiful the coast is – will go to Giants Causeway and to Glens of Antrim. Any smallish towns that are particularly worth a visit Where should we stay?

04/13/09 Dublin
I am sure you are thinking we have skipped Dublin but we would rather spend time in smaller areas

Just one more request (sorry this is so long) would like any suggestions as to fiction books or movies to see that are set in Ireland - either contemporary or historical

Thanks so much.

Pam
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM

There are many films - one of the most legendary is "The quiet man" starring John Wayne & Maureen O Hara, directed by John Ford.
Check out www.quietmanmovieclub.com.
Northern Ireland - I am biased, is brilliant - Mourne mountains are where I grew up, Drive from Kilkeel via Spelga Pass to Hilltown, eat in hotel in hilltown village (the only hotel), travel to Newry and from there you can join motorway back to Dublin. Stop in Newry on Easter Sun morning to see the Easter parade.( Newry is a shopper's town although Sat is a better day for shopping).
The mountains are not unlike Scottish Highlands in places.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM

There are lots of movies about the Irish, filmed in Ireland, with Irish actors. Just remember that Ireland today is very different than it was in 1985, 1960 and certainly from when Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne made the Quiet Man.
Some of my favorties are
The Field with Richard Harris
Dancing at Lughnsasa with Merle Streep
The Secret of Roan Inish
Waking Ned Devine
War of the Buttons
Circle of Friends (Maeve Binchy novel)
Michael Collins with Liam Neeson

Here is a link to
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=irish.htm
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Two Angelica Houston movies, "Agnes Browne" and "The Dead," the latter directed by her father. David Lean's "Ryan's Daughter" (scenery is best thing in the film). "The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne" (Maggie Smith and Bob Hoskins), "Quackser Fortune has a Cousin in the Bronx," Gene Wilder.

As for reading, there's James Joyce, of course, which I couldn't manage except "Dubliners", Roddy Doyle, W.B. Yates. Also, "O Come Ye Back to Ireland" and the "Pipes are Calling," by Niall Williams and Christine Breen--account of a young American couple who chucked it all in the 80's to farm on the west coast of Ireland.

Except for Yates and Ryan's Daughter, and the Breen/Williams books, almost everything else I've recommended has a strong Dublin influence or presence. I would give Dublin a day or two if you've never been.

That barely scratches the surface but I wanted to reference things I've seen or read (that I can remember). There's a good nonfiction book about how the Irish helped save "civilization" during the Dark Ages, not sure of the title.

Have a grand time. I lived in Galway for just under a year--great nightlife, not just for young ones--everybody goes out to the pub.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM

The beauty of the Quiet Man is that it is loaded with cliches.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Just a word of caution about the Blasket Islands trip. The boats are weather dependent and so in April might be sort of iffy. Also when I was there the first bost left at midmorning and returned midafternoon after several hours on the island so it would make the drive to Galway pretty iffy. But if it fits in your schedule, they are a magical place.

In addition to the above mentioned books and movies, may I suggest:

Around Ireland with a Fridge--a fellow made a bet in a less than sober state that he could carry a fridge around the coast of Ireland. Granted it was a dorm size fridge, but it was quite a tale.

Last of the Donkey Pilgrims by Kevin O'Hara. Written in the mid seventies, a young American of Irish descent went back and met with relatives in Ireland and then set out on a journey of discovery.

Edward Rutherford's the Princes of Ireland and the Rebels of Ireland are about a fictional family and follows the generations through history. The books give a taste of Irish history.

Morgan Llewllyn has also written a trilogy of a family through more recent Irish history. The various members interact with people from history. They all have dates as titles.

Peter Tremaine has written a series of mysteries with Sister Fidelma as the sleuth. They are set in 7th century Ireland and give you a good picture of life in the early Christian days of Ireland.

Patrick Taylor's An Irish Country Doctor, An Irish Village, An Irish Village Christmas are delightful books set in the fictional Ballybucklebo near Belfast. Think James Herriot and Miss Read. I have just finished the series and hope there will be more. Laughed and cried all the way through the books.

If you can get from Netflix or PBS any of the Ballykissangel series, do so. They are set in Ireland at the end of the 20th century. If you have seen Ballykissangel, the setting is the village of Avoca in county Wicklow, not too far from Glendalough.

If you want to roll on the floor laughing, get the above mentioned "Waking Ned Devine" Although it was set in Ireland, I believe that it was actually filmed in Wales, but the countryside is very much like Ireland in places.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Actually, I believe Ned Devine was filmed on the Isle of Man.

Other excellent movies that are in my collection include:

Once
The Commitments
The Snapper
The Boys and Girl From County Clare
The Matchmaker
Evelyn
Into The West
The Magdalene Sisters
Tis
Moondance
The Secret Of Roan Inish

There are more, but you are leaving in April ...

Books:
Non-Fiction:
The Great Hunger - Cecil Woodham-Smith
The Great Shame - Keneally
The Back Of Beyond - Roy

Fiction:

The Tenants Of Time
The Year Of The French
The End Of The Hunt
All by Thomas Flanagan.

As to your proposed itenerary, I STRONGLY suggest that you remove HALF of the items, and THEN start to pare down the remaining half.

Even if you spend 10 hours a day driving, in March you will be hard pressed to cover much of your route -- WITHOUT stopping to visit sites along the way.

In March, the weather is PARTICULARLY unpredictable and you will have LIMITED daylight hours. Over the FOUR day Easter Weekend, open tourist sites and accommodations may be hard to find.

Ireland is incredibly DENSE with sites, sights and places of interest. With 13 days, either the North (Sligo, Mayo, Donegal and Northern Ireland)or the South West (Cork and Kerry) probably need to be dropped.

Bob
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses - I have gone to Netflix and put several movies in my queue and books on hold at my library.

I was afraid the itinerary might be too ambitious. May skip the monastery in Glendalough and drive straight to Kilkenny. Will also skip the Blasket Islands as the ferries do not start running until after Easter. We do want to see as much of country as possible because this may be our only trip there but I do not want to feel totally pushed the whole time

Here is revision which may still be too busy. Specifically what days do you think are too full. We do not mind driving and typically do that quite a bit on trips.

04/01/09 Wed Arrive Dublin 8:40 am
Drive to Kilkenny and spend two nights there

04/02/09 Thu
Spend the day and night in Kilkenny

04/03/09 Fri
Drive through Cashel (see Rock of Cashel) then Cahir (castle) and then to Lismore (Lismore is 76 miles from Kilkenny) Then drive to Cork and spend the night

04/04/09 Sat 04/05/09 Sun
See Blarney Stone, drive the coast from Kinsale to Skibberdeen and then spend two nights in Kenmare or Killarney – where would you recommend. During the day on Sunday do the Ring of Kerry

04/06/09 Mon 04/07/09 Tuesday 04/08/09 Wednesday
Then drive to somewhere around Galway and spend three nights Will see the Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Clifden and other sights What town should we stay in? I read somewhere there is a lot of music in Doolin.

04/09/09 Thursday 04/10/09 Friday
Spend the days driving around the northwest – not sure where to stay. Any must see sights

04/11/09 Saturday 04/12/09 Sunday
Spend two days in Northern Ireland will go to Giants Causeway and to Glens of Antrim. Any smallish towns that are particularly worth a visit Where should we stay?

04/13/09 Dublin
Spend the day driving there and stay close to the airport for our morning flight on 4/14

Would really appreciate some advice for last part of trip in the north in terms of where to stay and what not too miss (including scenic drives etc)

And do you think it will be necessary to make reservations ahead of time.

What about a car rental - would appreciate any advice about that as well

Thanks so much for your input

Pam
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 12:11 PM

for a knitter...I think sheep...which makes me think west coast...

1-don't skip glendalough/jerpoint abbey/stay in kilkenny
2-cashel, do skip blarney/stay in kenmare
3-beara/healy pass/kenmare
4-dingle via section of ROK between kenmare and killarney (tour ross castle or muckross house)...there is a nice yarn store in dingle
5-dingle-drive sleahead loop
6-kilmer/tarbert ferry up coast to cliffs/burren/doolin
7-connemara/or weather permitting aran islands (famous for knitting)
8-kylemore abbey/doolough valley/past croagh patrick to westport
9-up north to donegal (we stayed in a great b&b, castle murray house on st. john's point)
10-another night in donegal...drive out to glencolumbkille (we purchased some knitted items...I am sure there would be places to buy yarn in this area)...glenveagh castlepark is also nice
11-drive to dunluce castle/giant's causeway stay on antrim coast
12-another night on antrim coast
13-head south...tour newgrange/stay outside of dublin

still lots! of driving...but think it may hit more points of interest to you
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Chip!Just curious - nights 4 - 8 - where would you suggest we stay?

Also do you think we need to make lodging reservations in advance? If we don't what is the best way to find bb's - and is negotiating rates frowned upon?

Thank you
Pam
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 04:26 PM

4-5 I would stay in dingle at one of the wonderful b&b's
6-we enjoyed doolin twice...stay within walking distance of one of the pubs (liked gus oconnors the best...we stayed at cullinan's and doonmacfelim)
7-8 we enjoyed staying at the old railway inn in westport...depending on what you like...you may enjoy staying in conemarra area (clifden...roundstone seemed nice)

I am a plan ahead...so I would reserve in advance to get best b&b with good location and price ...I did't negotiate...so not sure
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:41 AM

As I am writing this, you are on your trip.

Would be interested in what movie or book influenced your trip.

Hope you check this when you get back and give a trip report...