Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Why do airlines require a return within 30 days?

Why do airlines require a return within 30 days?

Nov 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Why do airlines require a return within 30 days?

We're looking at flights to Europe from the U.S. and have noticed that a lot of airlines require a return within 30 days.

Why is this? Is this peculiar to particular airlines? We've looked at British Airways, Lufthansa, and Virgin Atlantic.
Nov 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Hello fieldtripco, what makes you think that airlines require you return from Europe within 30 days?

Nov 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM

We've booked dozens of round trips longer than 30 days - 1 last June/July & one this coming June/July. I don't know if it is still true, but years ago prices on RT fares were higher for trips longer than 30 days. I think the 30 days you see may be a fare structure.

Stu Dudley
Nov 27th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly-
Whenever I use a site like Orbitz or Travelocity, a lot of fares require a return with 30 days. Just wondering why.

StuDudley-
I agree that it's a fare structure. I just don't see the advantage to an airline to set it up this way. Unless it's to force you to purchase a more expensive one-way ticket.
Nov 27th, 2008, 03:15 PM

You haven't noticed that airlines require 30 day return. You've noticed that some fares require 30 day return. Big difference. Most airlines have sale fares and many are for a set time period although usually the fare is valid longer than 30 days.
Nov 27th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Oh, fare structures, yes I have always paid more for flights to Italy as I have almost always stayed longer then 30 days.

But I don't understand your comment about buying the expensive one way ticket. Just buy a ticket that allows you to stay as long as you wish..keeping in mind that you will need to return to the states at the end of 90 days.
Nov 27th, 2008, 04:57 PM

Airlines set up their fare so that those who "have to travel" pay more, and those who "don't absolutely have to travel" will pay less to fill up the empty seats.

Most people who are going on a trip for more than 30 days are not your leisure travelers. They may be students, they may be on work assignments. So these are the ones that "have to travel".

The airlines charge more because they can.
Nov 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM

Have you tried working directly on the airline's own website? I've never seen the advantage to using a middleman like Expedia, Orbitz or Travelocity.
Nov 27th, 2008, 05:49 PM

If it's a group trip (usually requires at least 10) then you can use the airlines group booking. There are links for group bookings on most airlines websites. You will usually get a discounted price that they lock-in.
Nov 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM

As I posted on your other thread -- airlines don't require return w/i 30 days. What they usually require is a 30 day limit for DISCOUNTED fares. if you are willing to pay full fare you can stay as long as you like.

Search this Thread