who else LIVES in italy?

Apr 20th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

who else LIVES in italy?

hello, all. i am new to the fodor's website, and i was curious to know if there are many others who, like me, live abroad. i have lived in florence, italy for a little over two years. i am getting married this fall in chicago, and then we will come back here to live.

by the way, if anyone has questions about florence in particular, i would be happy to help, if i can. thanks!
Apr 20th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Hi Lizzy!
I live in Rome (actually 15 miles from Rome) and I am italian, but I will move soon to California to get married and live there. I wish you all the best for your life and I am sure you will find this community and this site very very interesting.
Apr 20th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

hi batuffolina!
thanks for your response. congratulations on your upcoming wedding. by the way, are you getting a fiance visa to get married in the states? my understanding is that you don't need one if you are not planning on staying in the states after the wedding, but i'm not sure. what has your experience been, if you don't mind my asking?
Apr 20th, 2003, 02:20 PM

who else LIVES in italy?

Hmmm !

There are about 59,999,999 Italians (not including yourself) !

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Apr 20th, 2003, 08:36 PM

My heart lives in Italy, but my body lives in California. Where are you planning to live in CA, Batuffolina?
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:07 AM

Hi Lizzy, I was three weeks in Florence last year and loved it especially the fact that there are so many nationalities there, a lot teaching and a lot of students. It was a vibrant place. There are many queries on this board about Florence so I'm sure you will be an asset.
Apr 21st, 2003, 03:37 AM

Hi Lizzy,
If you look up "ex pats" here, you'll see lots of people like us who live abroad. Check it out.
Ciao from Milano!
Melissa
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:15 AM

Hi Lizzy,

I'm an American living north of Venice in a small town called Sacile. My husband is an F-16 pilot in the USAF and we're stationed in Aviano. We LOVE it! We've been here 2 years... one more to go =( It sure will feel strange to live in the states again. We're in a great location. 45 min. from Venice, close to Slovenia, Austria and Germany. Wouldn't trade my 3 year "European Vacation" for anything! My two-year old daughter is happy here (they're usually happy anywhere at that age, though) and I have another daughter on the way that will be born here next month!

Congratulations on your wedding, and that you're moving back to Florence. We were just there a few weeks ago. Had a lot of fun.
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:43 AM

To Lizzy and the rest of the gang in Italy-Could you help out a mom (from Chicago) who is sending her son to study abroad in Turin for a year? He has been to places like Venice and Florence but has not been in parts of Italy that are not "touristy" read not alot of people speak English.He will have a month of intensive (6 hours a day) Italian before his semester begins and his courses are being taught in English. His initial contact with the university situation over there advises him that he will be living in a shared apartment but "do not expect any thing like a TV,microwave etc. This is fine however they also said that there are no clothes dryers and to pack accordingly? Suggestions for clothing of students in Italy/should he bring alot of his own "over the counter medicines"?/chain stores(such as a Target type) that he could get things to outfit his place,etc.Anything that you could suggest to make the year easier would be greatly appreciated! His family is extremely jealous as we would love to have the opportunity to live over there for a year. Thanks-
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

what fun to hear from everybody! i know quite a few expats in my "hometown," but i was and am interested to hear of other people's experiences elsewhere. cricket, you are yet another to mention positive experiences with children here. thanks to all!
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:10 AM

Well, dutyfree, I wish I could help you out here. I live pretty differently, I'm sure, than a student would. We shop at the Base Exchange a lot and with our APO box, we can order from almost any catalog and shop on the internet from any store that delivers USPS. Unfortunately, your son won't have that option. I'm not sure what's over there in Turin, but there are quite a few IKEA's in Italy, Ovvio's (cute modern furniture and housewares), and I'm sure there are plenty more places that he'll find out about once he gets there. Try looking at IKEA's website and see if they have a store there. I know they have one near Bologna, but not sure where else.

As for clothes, I don't know. We have a washer and dryer at home. We pretty much live like we did in the states except for little things like a garbage disposal, air conditioning (can be a big thing!), etc.

What I'd recommend is that he does a search on Google, etc. for others in his situation. Maybe searching for "American Students in Italy". Maybe he can find a forum like this and they can answer some of his (and your) questions.

Cricket
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:34 AM

Our plan will be to get an adjustment of status for me after we get married.
I will be living in central California, Five Cities area, near San Luis Obispo.
Apr 21st, 2003, 09:07 AM

Which one of the five cities? My grandmother lives nearby in Santa Maria, and I grew up a couple of hours away. Spent MANY days over there. Have you been there yet?
Apr 21st, 2003, 09:54 AM
hdw

Hey duty free! About your son...he can get most things in italy that he could get in the states. The US dollar is weak now so that's a bit of a problem. His laundry will most likely be air dried....the italians don't do much with the dryer.

Gosh, this sounds harsh saying it...but definitely avoid sending him stuff. I had a hell of a time with customs in italy. Its a long story but basically is a racketeering thing in my opinion. They charged me $200 to get $100 of dog food through customs and my food got shipped back before my fee ever got to the customs broker. Don't know yet if I'll get my money back. In my opinion, send your son money for him to buy things in italy.

Hope this helps!
Apr 21st, 2003, 10:52 AM

Lizzie,

Have had a VERY positive experience here with our daughter. She speaks a little Italian, and the locals just eat it up. She's very friendly and outgoing, and it makes it easier for my husband and I to make friends wherever we go. She screams "ciao" at practically everyone she sees!
Apr 21st, 2003, 11:11 AM

You get used to not having a dryer; I have lived now for four years without one. In addition to a portable drying rack, you can also strew your clothes over the heaters during the winter; they dry in no time. You have to plan ahead with your washing, but your clothes last a lot longer.

Also, heed well what HDW says. The customs charges are a racket. If you send your son anything, declare NO VALUE, and don't pay to have it insured. Declare the package as personal items or used clothing. I had to pay $150 to get a pair of glasses because my optometrist insured them when he sent them.

If your son is taking an intensive Italian course before coming over, he will be able to get around the basics once he gets here. Not to worry.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

dutyfree, i totally agree with what hdw and santachiara said about customs. try not to insure packages, and send small items. as for clothes, i think most italians have a washer but no dryer. this is my situation (cricket, i am jealous!). as above posters have said, it just takes a little planning ahead. there are also laundromats in most towns which will have dryers, not to mention laundry services and drycleaners.
hope this helps!
Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the info on Italy. Do you send things(uninsured) through Us postal service or UPS for safe travel? Also,I know that in Italy they dress much more sharply than we do in the states but should he be going in only dark colored pants(ie no khakis and limited jeans) or can he get by in golf type cotton shirts with jeans? He dresses conservatively but this drying thing is hanging heavily on me for packing. Do they have enough dry cleaners over there and are they really expensive? Thanks everyone!
Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:40 AM
hdw

While the italians do dress nicer, college kids are still college kids. You will see the younger generations in jeans. However they are stylish outfits so not a beer t-shirt with jeans with a hole in the butt. I'd pack all 3...jeans, dark pants, and khakis. Then when he gets here he can see what he feels most comfortable in.