Search

Moving to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Italy

Hi! I'm a 50 year old Brazilian , live in the USA for 30! Looking to move to a small town in south Italy! Getting nice afordable real state, looking for ideas! Please let me know good advise! Thank you!
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Do you have the right to live in Italy?
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

No! But very determined to live in Italy
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

No! But very determined to live in Italy
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 08:33 AM

Well, worry about visa, residential permit and work permit first of all, and check with official sources what your chances are to obtain these, before you start thinking about any further details.
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 08:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>No! <<

Then you'll need a LOT more help than you can get from a travel forum.

>>But very determined to live in Italy<<

Most likely you can't . . .
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 11:05 AM

You can't just move to Italy because it's some sort of dream of yours. You need a visa, a residential permit, a work permit if you intend to workk, and loads of other paperwork.

Start by talking to the Italian Consulate in your area. You're going to find out that this is a pipe dream OR you're in line for loads and loads of paperwork and administrative hassles.

Buona fortuna.
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 11:11 AM

Look for a place you might like. Rent an apartment for a few weeks, of course, fewer than 90 days. Take a language class. Come home. If you like that, do it a couple of times a year.
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 12:49 PM

If you can prove you have medical insurance and a high enough income to support yourself, from pensions or something else that would continue in Italy, you can easily get a visa. There would still be a fair amount of paperwork, but it's not an awful amount. For one thing, getting a residence permit is almost automatic if you have the right kind of visa.

It's very, very difficult to get a visa that would allow you to work. After 5 years, you might be eligible for permanent residency, and then you could work, and would be eligible for health insurance.

Another possibility would be to marry an Italian. (That's what I did, but not so I could move to Italy.)

Another possibility is to get a job with a multinational company that has offices in Italy, and talk them into transferring you.
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 01:03 PM

Do you have Italian, or other ancestry from an EU country? Sometimes you can get citizenship based on your ancestry.
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 05:32 PM

Agree to talk to someone at the consulate (after reviewing all of the rules and regs online) to determine if there is any way you can meet the necessary requirements.

I have friends who moved to France, she is Argentinian by birth but had a grandfather from Italy and he was born and grew up in Sweden although he is a Hungarian citizen. But they had a ton of money, to buy a large property on the Riviera and support themselves in style. I don;t know their current status, although they started out with resident visas - but they cannot- nor would they want to - work there - they retired in their early 50s.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 08:35 AM

I know people who moved to Italy by showing they could be self-supporting. They didn't have a lot of money; I think a guaranteed income of about €50,000 per person was sufficient at the time. They also had to have a medical insurance policy, because they couldn't use the free health service for the first five years, and had to guarantee that their medical bills would be covered until then.

After five years, they were eligible for various benefits, but they couldn't become Italian citizens for ten years. You can begin working after either five years, or when you become a citizen, I forget which.

I've known a fair number of people, from various countries, who have moved here in the 18 years I've lived here. Most of them have left Italy. It's not easy to establish yourself in a new country. Aloma has at least done so once already in her life, so she probably knows what's involved, but it's easier at age 20 than at age 50.

Sassafrass gives you good advice. Start by visiting the town where you'd like to live several times, at different times of the year. (A German couple I knew who lived in our town for about five years went back to Germany because they were under the mistaken impression that it was warm here in the winter. They had only visited in the summer.) During these visits, stay in an apartment rather than a hotel. Rent a car and drive around. Go shopping for groceries and clothing. Get a haircut. Check out the town library. Read the local newspapers. Begin immediately studying Italian intensively. Read up on the history and culture of Italy, and of the specific culture of the area where you want to live.
Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 09:56 PM

I'm an Australian and going to Italy for 11weeks( 12 weeks is the max) as that is the amount of time I can stay unless I leave and go to another country then come back not sure which country you have to go to. I happy with that.
Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 12:07 AM

Australians under Schengen rule can stay in the whole Schengen area (that includes Italy) combined for 90-in-180 days and then have to leave Schengen (say for UK or Ireland) and can return after 90 days.
Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 03:51 AM

OP registered in November. Says he has lived in US for 30.

Based upon the level of his grammar does he mean 30 years, months or days?

Sometimes many jump in with a reply before proper consideration of what (and how) it is asked. And my apologies to certain posters who mean well.
Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 04:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nochblad, what IS your point? Are you saying the OP is a troll? Stupid? What? I'm responding to YOUR post after having given it "proper consideration" so please, answer the question.
Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 06:02 AM

I know one Brazilian and a few Uruguayans who hold Italian passports based on their ancestry and they live and work in the UK.
Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 06:04 AM

Dukey1

Are you saying the OP is a troll? Stupid? What?

First of all, what is the question you refer to?

Second, what is the OP after? It is not clear - at least to me.

If it is clear to you perhaps you should answer him.