White Christmas in Eurpoe

Mar 17th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

White Christmas in Eurpoe

Hi,
My sister and my families are hoping to head over from Australia to Europe this December to experience a white Christmas, and we are looking for suggestions on where to go.
The 5 children range in age from 12 to 1 (wish us luck!) and we would like to stay in a smaller city or town for about a week around Christmas. Perhaps in France or Germany? We have to be in the UK for New Years.
We hope to experience the "picture book" white Christmas with lovely decorations, picturesque towns, carols and hopefully snow which will be such a contrast to our hot summer Christmas at the beach. I see there are some reference to Alsace at Christmas on this site, but I don't know what chance there is of snow there in December.
Any ideas?
Mar 17th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

sorry about the spelling of Europe!!!
Mar 17th, 2005, 04:04 AM

We are also a family from Australia and headed to Europe for a white Christmas last December. We spent 7-8 days in the Bavaria region of Germany, doing the areas around Neuschwanstein, Christmas markets in Rothenberg and spent Christmas itself in Oberammergau. The whole week was everything we hoped for. There was a lot of snow everywhere (the kids went absolutely insane not having really seen snow before). They loved the Christmas markets and standing around drinking gluwein or hot chocolate and eating sausages from the stalls at night and Oberammergau being a fairly small town gave us the experience of a very traditional German Christmas - we were the only English speaking guests in the hotel in which we stayed. Kids built snowmen, we had a sleigh ride etc. There are of course lots of other small towns within the region and you are reasonably sure of getting snow there.

By the way we spent the following week in London as well and, just a note of warning, it was incredibly crowded. I have never seen London that crowded on any of our previous trips. I think every man and his dog must head over there for Christmas/New Year. The kids still enjoyed it though as they hadn't been there before.
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Most of France and Germany doesn;t have snow in December. To have a good chance of snow you will need to be in the Alps - either German, Swiss, Austrian etc - as the previous poster mentioned. Alsace is quite unlikely to have snow.,
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:36 AM

And I can add that going somwhere like Switzerland is no guarantee, either,unless you concentrate on truly alpine areas at somewhat higher elevations.
Mar 18th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Looks like we will have to aim high, or just hope for some early falls of snow if we aren't in the Alps.
Shandy, Neuschwanstein would be great to take the children to - the original Disney castle!
We were originally thinking that we could stay in one place for a week before heading off to Paris for a few nights and then over to London. I think however that we may have to move around between 2 or 3 places to enjoy the Christmas markets and make sure that Christmas Day is spent in the snow.
Will have to do lots more research.
Mar 18th, 2005, 05:36 AM

I highly recommend the area around Garmisch. We had an absolutely perfect time there this year. Check out my trip report here called Winter Wonderland for info on places to visit in the area as well as a recommendation for a wonderful hotel.