Whirlwind weekend in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from a great weekend in London - my best friend and I were meeting some friends over there, and we were all going to a concert on Saturday night at the Southbank Centre. We have both been to London 5 or 6 times before, so we know the city pretty well and have done most of the normal big sightseeing things (i.e. St. Paul's, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, Harrod's, British Museum, etc.).

We flew United with frequent flyer miles, and did sit in economy plus which was better than economy, but still not very comfortable (the flight was direct from Washington Dulles to Heathrow). We arrived on time mid-morning on Saturday and took the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then got a taxi to our hotel, One Aldwych.

The hotel was fabulous - we splurged since it was such a great location, and since we were only there for 2 nights. The room was ready when we got there, so we got settled and then had brunch at one of the restaurants in the hotel (Indigo), and the food was great.

My friend decided to take a nap, but I walked over to Covent Garden and to the London Transport Museum - I love both places, and love to get posters & postcards from the London Transport Museum.

That night was the concert at the Southbank Centre, so we walked across Waterloo Bridge. Afterwards we ate at the restaurant on top of the Oxo Tower (this was about 10:30 at night). The food and service were great, and the views of London at night were beautiful. We took a taxi back to the hotel since it was after midnight.

On Sunday morning we went to church out in Hendon with our friends. Later in the day we took the tube back to Waterloo (which was near their hotel), and then we ended up having dinner back at our hotel.

We walked over to Somerset House (where some of the movie "Last Chance Harvey" was filmed) to see the ice skating rink. They had just started the last session of skating for the night, so we watched for a little while - it's a really beautiful place.

Monday morning, my friend tried out the pool at the hotel - it was incredible (no chlorine and they play music underwater). Later we took a taxi to St. Paul's and then walked across the Millennium Bridge to the Tate Modern. We only had about an hour here, and then had to get back to the hotel to check out and head for Paddington to get the Heathrow Express back to the airport.

We did have to check our small roller bags - because of the new security measures (could only bring 1 item on board the plane). Three hours early was plenty of time to get through security and make it to the gate (where they did additional security - physical pat downs and going through your carry-on item). Flight was uneventful (thankfully!) and we made it back on time - tired but really glad we went.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM

You are my hero. What a great trip!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Nancy, sounds perfect. Glad you had such a great mini vacation...
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your kind replys - this was my first trip report, so I really appreciate it.

One thing I'll add is that I was really glad I had bought my Heathrow Express tickets online, so we could just walk to the train and get on (you print the ticket out at home, and then they come and scan it while you're traveling to London, and same on the way back to Heathrow from Paddington Station). It saved time and hassle when you've just arrived - you don't have to stand in line, and worry if your credit card will work in the machine, etc.

I was also glad for the same reasons that we got pounds sterling at an American Express here in the US, so we had enough cash for water, postcards, food, taxis, etc. without having to go to an ATM.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Well done! Sounds like my kind of weekend.

London from IAD is so easy for a long weekend. If you were to drive DC-NYC you'd probably take almost as much time driving, as the IAD-LHR flight - so why not go to London?

I love One Aldwych, too. Perfect location and it's probably my favorite hotel in London. Next time, check out Chancery Court, especially if you have Marriott points or friends at Marriott. I was able to get rates of ~~160 pounds (including tax) in October with the friends and family rate.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun. congrats on a great trip
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM

Did you use your credit card for incidentals in the airport?
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

No - I didn't use a credit card in the airport (just the cash in pounds sterling I had brought with me). I did use a credit card in a restaurant and at the Tate Modern gift shop, and my debit card at the hotel with no problems.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM

Great Trip report! I was there in September and stayed close to your hotel at Waldorf Hilton.

Couple questions - how did you get into Economy Plus with miles? Did you pay the upgrade fee at check-in?

Also, what was your rate at the hotel?
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM

Another question: our daughter's studying in London this next semester, so we're thinking about a short trip over (she wants to set aside time for dinner with us!) and I was counting on the direct flight from IAD (I'm thinking Virgin Atlantic's economy plus) and carrying on our bags. Say again, please: that's really not possible? thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

I paid the upgrade to Economy Plus with miles, and my friend paid the fee in cash (because I got my ticket in October on a United mileage sale - it only cost 44,000 miles for the roundtrip ticket, so I thought it was worth it to get the upgrade, and I'm glad I did). We both did the upgrade when we got the tickets (i.e. not at check-in). My rate at the hotel was basically 200/night (British pounds).
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi, jo-ann. We could carry on our roller bags (I think they were 22 inches) as well as a totebag/purse on the flight from IAD to Heathrow, but on the flight back from Heathrow to Dulles you could only have 1 carry-on (which in my case was the large totebag). So, we had to check the rollers at Heathrow. I think it's to save time since they go through everyone's bag at the 2nd security checkpoint at the gate, and if everyone had 2 bags it would take twice as long. I think you could take a roller bag as your 1 carry-on, but you couldn't have a purse or anything else (and obviously you could put your purse inside). I hope this clarifies it some.