Just Back from London

Search

Just Back from London

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Back from London

We just returned from a 6 day stay in London (2/15-2/20. Lots of excitement the first day due to the demonstration. I have to admit that I was a bit concerned flying into Heathrow especially when the captain came on and said we'd have to circle for 20 mins. Kind of felt like a target.<BR><BR>Anyway, we saw no evidence of the extra security as we just picked up our bags and headed for the Heathrow Express. I must say that after having been to London many times, this was my first on the Express. What a difference. Faster than a taxi for sure and cheaper, too. Oh, and since we flew BA, for our return, we were able to check our bags and receive or boarding passes at the train station leaving us the rest of the morning to explore some more. Big plus!<BR><BR>We stayed at the Millennium Mayfair (Britannia) in an extra large room with King sized bed and a sofa bed. Biggest room we've ever had in Europe. The rate was 105pounds for the three of us. Great location. We walked everywhere since we had nothing but sunshine.<BR><BR>Since it was our son's mid-term break, we mostly catered to him. We visited the science museum, and saw Reduced Shakespeare, Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Phantom (for me!), and The Lion King. Since we've been to London many times before, we spent the rest of the time shopping and exploring parts we'd never seen.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 02:04 AM

Thanks for your report. Always interested in what is going on in London.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 09:13 AM

Thanks for all of that info! We are going March 13 and will be with our ten year old daughter. We're staying atThistle Marble Arch. What do you recommend we make our priorities? This is our first trip ever!<BR><BR>
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 09:27 AM

Maadimom,<BR><BR>Thanks for your report! How wonderful that you had sun. A couple of questions; where the theater productions full? We want to see Reduced Shakespeare. I can get tickets online but would rather remain flexible on which night. Also, did you notice if you can check bags at Heathrow for United? Probably not, huh?
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:08 AM
DDA

Could you expound a bit on how and where you got the Express both at Heathrow and in London. Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:13 AM

DDA, it is very simple. At Heathrow the route is very well marked and marketed throughout the terminal. You can't miss it. In London you catch the Express at Paddington Station. It's a GREAT way to get back and forth. Very quick and comfortable.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 08:32 PM

Grasshopper: You definitely do not have to book Reduced Shakespeare ahead of time. It is available at the 1/2 price TKTS booth just about every day.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 11:01 AM

Dear Maadimom:<BR><BR>I found a Millennium Mayfair hotel, but it didn't reference Britannia specifically. Where was this property located? We're there for six days in March and are still shopping for a great room.<BR><BR>Please help!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Where did you get that rate for the Millennium Mayfair?<BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:02 AM

We also just got back (last night) from a family trip to London and had a fabulous time. Since we're a family of five we found it more comfortable to rent a flat for the five nights than stay in a hotel and it worked out well -- we were just off King's Road near Sloane Square.<BR><BR>We saw Complete Works of William Shakespeare and loved it. Great seats (12th row, center in the Stalls) at 13.75 each from one of the Leicester Square booths.<BR><BR>Highlights included brass rubbings at St-Martin-in-the-Fields, afternoon tea and the Carlton Tower Hotel, Evensong at Westminster Abbey, the London Zoo and Natural History Museum. Weather was spectacular -- high 40's and above, blue skies. Since our kids are adventurous eaters we had some great meals in Indian, Chinese, Thai and Middle Eastern restaurants.<BR><BR>British Airways is the only airline which checks bags directly from Paddington -- American used to do so several years ago. Still, Heathrow Express is a great way to get to and from the airport as it beats sitting in traffic and takes about a third the time of the tube. When we entered the tube station at Paddington, from the Heathrow Express, we were able to get our photo cards and travelcards in less than ten minutes (I had all the forms, etc, organized and accessible). Another option is to order the visitor travelcard online and include the Heathrow Express return tickets -- it's a good deal.