London for a day - suggestions please

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
London for a day - suggestions please

Hello All

Travelling to Africa for my honeymoon and we will be in London for an entire day waiting for our outbound flight. We figure we have enough time to leave the airport and do something fun in town. We fly into Heathrow at 9 am and need to be back at the airport at 6 pm.

Can someone suggest something fun, perhaps great shopping and lunch somewhere hip? We aren't the sightseeing sort...more the relax and enjoy kind of people. Are the markets on Portobello open on Mondays?

Is the best way to go in a taxi?

Thanks for all and any advice. Looking SO forward to seeing London for the first time.

-TG
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fastest way (cost be damned) is the Heathrow Express that goes into Paddington Station every 15 minutes. That will maximize your time in town. Then take a taxi or the Tube to Covent Garden for the trendiest lunch you'll ever have this side of Sausalito.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 03:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did the exact same thing a few years ago (Newark to London, London to Nairobi) on back to back red-eyes.

We had been to London before, so had seen many of the sights. If you haven't been there before, I'd suggest taking the Heathrow Express in to London and going to the Tower of London and London Bridge and maybe a nearby pub.

While kind of touristy, it does get you outside in the sunshine (or whatever passes for sunshine in London) and can greatly help with jet lag.

If you've been to London before, I'd suggest taking public transport to Kew Gardens. You can spend hours walking around the botanical gardens (again outside) and then walk along to Thames to someplace like Richmond for lunch.

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someonetell me ifthe Heathrow Express is a bus or a train and how do i find it at the airport.

Also - Padding Station - is that downtown London with lots of shops and restaurants?

Thanks...TG
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WHY NOT DO THE HOP ON HOP OFF BUS THIS WAY YOU CAN SEE EVERYTHING AS A HIGHLIGHT.

HAVE A WONDERFUL HONEYMOON IN AFRICA.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a train... just follow the signs, it's impossible to miss.

It goes downtown to a pretty good area to wander around, or there is other public transport in the area. You could go downtown and jump on one of the 'hop on hop off' tourist buses. That would give you a good overview of the city...
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 05:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since your time is limited, take the Heathrow Express. There are signs in the airport that will direct you to where you catch it. Heathrow Express is a high speed train that will get you from Heathrow to Paddington Station in 15 min. Since you are coming back I would suggest getting a roundtrip ticket - it will save you a little money. Taxis are very expensive in London. I would just get a one-day travel card for the tube. You would just need Zones 1 and 2. Covent Garden would be a good place for lunch. From Paddington take the Piccadilly line on the tube to Covent Garden. Wherever you do go you need to get back to Paddington Station if you are using Heathrow Express.

Africa is a great place for your honeymoon. Congratulations.