Which Venice hotel would you choose?

Nov 10th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Which Venice hotel would you choose?

Having trouble picking a hotel!!! All of the ones listed have availability for the dates I need. And some of the favs usually recommended here are not available.

We like upscale hotels and don't have a lot of needs, but like to have a good breakfast, comfortable rooms, a bar, and ideally internet service. Also, we like to be close to sights and restaurants. We will pay more to be close to the center of things.

Does anyone have any advice on which to choose?

Best Western Hotel Ala
Residenza d'Epoca San Cassiano
Hotel Rialto
Nov 10th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

SO sorry! Computer was experiencing "hiccups" and it looks like this posted several times!
Nov 10th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Jed

You could email [email protected] and ask to remove the others.
Nov 10th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

good idea Jed - Done!
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:20 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Ala in 2006 because it had received so many good reviews here and on other sites and, also, because it was available when we wanted. We were very disappointed.

The front desk went out of its way to be unhelpful. They didn't know whether or not laundry service was available on weekend. They didn't follow through on requested restaurant reservations and said none were available; when I called the restaurants myself it turned out that tables were available.

The housekeeping staff constantly rearranged our personal belongings to their satisfaction and charged us for items from the minibar that we didn't use.

I foolishly left my billfold in the room the last day while we went to breakfast. After we checked out and left the hotel, I discovered $400 missing. I can't prove what happened but circumstances certainly point toward a member of the floor staff who was in the halls near our room almost every time we came and went.

Use your own judgment, but I would sleep on the street before staying at the Hotel Ala again.
Nov 10th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Hal - thanks for the information. I have to admit, I think the Hotel Ala is at the bottom of my list - but I couldn't really give a solid reason why. Your experience certainly doesn't move it up any!
Nov 10th, 2007, 09:01 AM

I suggest Alberghi Monaco & Grand Canal.Next door to Harrys Bar and the Square. Best Location. Upscale hotel.overlooks Grand Canal.
Nov 10th, 2007, 09:13 AM

We have just returned from a wonderful 4 day stay at Venice. We have had found this hotel by chance last year, when we were relocated to this newly opened place because of overbooking. It is right in the city center, close to the Rialto vaporetto stop and water taxi stand, and is called Hotel a la Commedia.

http://www.commediahotel.com

The rooms are spacious and clean, everything works as intended, service is friendly and helpful. We have been to many hotels in Venice, but a la Commedia is at the perfect location AND a great hotel.
Nov 10th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Stanley - I looked at the Alberghi Monoco & Grand Canal, but ruled it out. Maybe it was booked...I'll re-check.

Sturmi - I looked at the Commedia Hotel and liked it, but we need to get 2 rooms for our family and that made it more than I wanted to pay.
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM

I stayed at A La Commedia hotel last month. There were three of us sharing a junior suite and there would have been room for a 4th person. We loved our stay at the hotel and would recommend it.
Nov 11th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Checked the Alberghi Monaco & Grand Canal again - all that is available are the rooms in the "dependence" which I had read should be avoided.

I will look at A La Commedia again. May just bite the bullet and go for 2 rooms. I love my children.....but gave up sharing rooms with them YEARS ago!
Nov 11th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Although I am not sure about your budget, how about Hotel Flora in San Marco? We stayed at the Flora for the second time this September and generally enjoyed our stay.

Anna
Nov 11th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

I'll check out the Hotel Flora as well. I had hoped to keep the price between 200- 250 euros per room, but may just have to increase the budget!
Nov 11th, 2007, 10:48 PM

We are heading into Locanda Orseolo for two more visits next year; they had doubles for 230 euros or less (we opted for upgrade at 250 eu a night). You've no doubt heard this one recommended and may have your reasons not to use it, but it meets all the requirements you've mentioned and is better than the hotel in this range we had previously tried.
Nov 11th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

annw - that was the first one I tried and it is fully booked as is the newer property that they have purchased
Nov 12th, 2007, 12:12 AM

If ala Commedia is out of your price range and if you want a real treat, try to get rooms at la Locandiera.

http://www.lalocandiera-ve.com/INDEX.htm
This is a small family owned hotel with nice and clean rooms, right behind San Zaccaria and very close to St.Marcs.

For other good hotels also try the Italian booking site http://www.venere.com
This is the best way to get hotels easily and reliably, and it has a perfect english menu. There you can also find appartements as well as B&B.
Nov 12th, 2007, 12:23 AM

And you can also book La Locandiera using www.venere.com:
http://en.venere.com/hotels_venice/c...ocandiera.html

;-)
Nov 12th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Sturmi,

La Locandiara looks like a really nice hotel. thanks for the recommendation (I am also planning a trip to Venice)
Nov 12th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Try the Ca' Angeli, we loved it. It's a B&B but serve a good buffet breakfast and the rooms are lovely, beautifully decorated and not too small. Everything is very clean and the bathrooms are great, and they have a beautiful lounge overlooking the grand canal.

http://www.caangeli.it/
Nov 12th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the suggestions....have been too busy today to look at anything. That's my job for tomorrow!

Search this Thread