Which Train Would You Take First

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in Paris the first week then spending few days in Reims area then few days in Beaune. Where should we take the train to first from Paris...to Reims or Beaune?
Where ever we go to last we are going directly to CDG to fly home next day.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 06:02 AM

You best take the train to Reims from Paris and back and then take a TGV from Paris to Dijon, changing there to a sideline to Beaune - to go from Reims to Beaune sans returning to Paris I think would make a much longer ride and perhaps multiple changes of trains.
For lots of great info on French trains check www.seat61.com - good info on discounted tickets say for the Paris to Dijon TGV; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com

I guess if you want to end up in Reims you could perhaps get some kind of shuttle to CDG - but otherwise either from Beaune or Reims you are best off going back to Paris, if wanting to go by train to CDG - from Dijon however there are some direct trains to CDG without going thru Paris and the aggravating change of stations there - if these comport with your schedule one reason for putting Beaune last on your list.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 08:53 AM

A very clear answer:

Take first the train from Paris Gare de Lyon to Beaune. It takes 2:02 with one change.

Then take the train from Beaune to Reims, which takes 3:55 with 3 changes.

Finally, take the train from Reims to Paris Airport Charles de Gaulle, which takes just 0:31 without stops.

The advantage is that Reims has a very good connection to Charles de Gaulle.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 08:58 AM

Yes, go to Beaune first.

I would never plan on taking a train from anywhere back to CDG the same day as my flight. Did that once and came VERY close to disaster. Never again.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 09:02 AM

yeah, I agree, there are plenty of direct trains from the Champagne-Ardennes TGV station to CDG that take only about 30 minutes. I'm not sure what Palenq is thinking.

That TGV station is only about 8 km outside Reims.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 10:31 AM

Palenq was thinking a few years back - now I remember the launch of Chmapagne-Ardennes TGV trains but did not think they were so frequent - thanks for the correcto. I think going to CDG from Reims is as quick or quicker than from Paris via RER - quicker no doubt if you figure in howlong it takes to get from your Paris hotel to the RER.

I agree with St-Cirq that always be in the city your plane is leaving from - in this case though Reims fits that bill.

Otherwise coming from Dijon or afar you have train strikes to worry about - some are wildcat ones that pop up suddenly though most are announced days in advance - or an accident on the rail line could scrub trains for a while, etc.

Be as close to the airport as possible so if need be you could take a taxi if public transports shut down like they did to a large part in Paris a few weeks (months back.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 10:36 AM

The RER doesn't go to Reims, and the OP is leaving from CDG, not Reims.
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 06:28 AM

The RER doesn't go to Reims, and the OP is leaving from CDG, not Reims.>

Not sure what your point is here - I never said RER goes from Reims to CDG but that with the 30-minute direct trains Reims is actually closer to CDG by public transit than Paris. Thus in what we think - you should be near the airport as much as possible Reims fits the bill.