Which to Visit: Blenheim or Leeds Castle

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which to Visit: Blenheim or Leeds Castle

Next week I am off to Britain and have one of those "Day-Trip" days scheduled, and the choice is between the two. Originaly I had tossed about the idea of visiting Cambridge or Warwick, but a childish curiosity has lead me to these two.

I want to get lost in a hedge maze! Or at least wonder around it for a few minutes, and both these locations have one. So, to the best of your expert travel forum knowledge, which is a more entertaining trip. No car, have to rely on trains and busses.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:42 AM

Blenheim , definitely
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

I would get a visit out of Oxford as well if I went to Blenheim, if I went to Leeds, I just get Leeds.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:13 AM

Hampton Court is another " a-mazing" place. It's fun to get lost in the maze there and you get to see the wonderful castle and grounds , too.
It is an easy day trip from London.. no car required at all.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Well then, I suppose my options are slightly larger, Hampton Court, Leeds, Blenheim.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:48 AM
JMM

Strictly my personal opinion but my order of preference would be:
Hampton Court - easy to get to - great maze
Blenheim - fantastic grounds, good guides
Leeds - photogenic but I really like the other 2 more
I really do not think you would be disappointed with any of them.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:39 AM

My order of preference would also be the same as JMM.

Hampton Court has a great maze and beautiful gardens, only about 1/2 hour from London by train. They have a lot of tours, both self guided or with a guide, really you could spend a whole day there.

Blenheim is an amazing palace with beautiful grounds, easily combinable with Oxford if you get an early start to the day. To get to Blenheim, you'd take the train to Oxford and then a bus to the palace, I think it took about 1 1/2 hours to get there from London.

Leeds had a very pretty setting but it didn't impress me nearly as much as the other two.

I don't think you will go wrong with Hampton Court or Blenheim though.

There used to be a combined discount ticket for Hampton Court and the Tower of London, couldn't find it on the website. Be sure to ask if you're planning on both of them.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

I think I will be going to Blenheim, I have the entire day to spend and I figured that whatever time remaining after we tire of the palace can be spent in Oxford. Originaly I was concerned about getting back to London at a certain time, I have since rearranged my plans and have cleared the entire day.

I visited the Tower of London last year, so I won't be returning this year. Though, I wouldn't mind to do so, I was only able to spend about and hour 1/2 there last year, so I felt rushed. But, there is always more to do for the next trip, perhaps that is when Hampton Court will be visited. Leeds will probably have to wait several more trips.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 12:29 PM

What about Harewood House just outside Leeds? With the Yorkshire Dales at your feet, what's wrong with that?
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Guys+Gals

You look about to get confused. "Leeds Castle" is about 30 miles SE of London. It has no connection with the fine (and getting so much finer it even has its own Harvey Nicks)City of Leeds, about 200 miles due north of London.
No-one refers to the castle as "Leeds". It's always "Leeds Castle". Just, BTW, as Her Maj's residence is always called "Buckingham Palace" and never "Buckingham" (the name of a handsome, if obscure, town 40 miles NW of London)

Sorry if I'm being pedantic