Castle day trip from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations on a castle that can be visited on a day trip from London? Prefer one that will be easy to reach by bus/train.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Windsor Castle - see current post about it.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Or Leeds Castle, Dover Castle
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM

And Leeds and Dover are real castles - well supposed Windsor is too but it's much more - Dover is kind of the castle of your dreams. Arundel Castle is as well and trains go right to it. Leeds is closer to London than other two and has beautiful grounds and furnishings as well as a 'dog collar museum' of note.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM

There's also Hampton Court Palace, very easy to reach by train and quite historic as well as beautiful. This is where Henry VIII and his wives lived. The gardens at Hampton Court are fabulous too. Once you arrive there by train it's just a short walk over the bridge and there it is.

The other castle recommendations are great too - if you only have time for one you are going to have a tough decision!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Warwick Castle was my favorite, I also liked Leeds and Arundle but Warwick allows you to explore more on your own, Leeds required you to be on a tour, if I remember correctly. I like to run around castles on my own, I also enjoyed the town of Warwick. Windsor defintly requires a tour and you can only go in certain areas. It's the closest to London though, only requires a few hours total.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM

How about The Tower of London
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:42 AM

By castle i assume you mean the castle of your dreams - something that looks like a brooding fortress. Hampton Court was built for pleasure and is thus a palace - that said though it may not fulfill your romantic notions of a castle i feel Hampton Court, so associated with Henry VIII and his queens, one of them who lost her head allegedly still haunts the place - but i call Hampton Court one of Europe's most overlooked gems - great palace, reeking of history, great grounds, tranquil Thameside location, Europe's self-described most complete medieval kitchens, some of the Queen's world class art and the Great Vine, hundreds of years old and still producing lots of grapes. Best of all Hampton offers several themed tours daily as part of the admission fee - some done by guides in period costumes, bringing the palace alive.
Hampton Court, an easy train ride from Waterloo station or the Wimbledon tube station (i believe) is so overlooked by London visitors. So though the 'British Versailles' may not fulfill your notion of a mighty fortress where boiling oil was poured on attackers, it may enthrall you even more. Two trains an hour to the Hampton Court train station just opposite the Thames from the palace.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:49 AM

www.castlexplorer.co.uk

For a military fortress, Dover.

For romantic ruins - room for the imagination since there isn't much of an interior left: Bodiam, Rochester, or Corfe.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the input - Leeds Castle looks like one we will probably visit. Am also thinking of going to Dover based upon the insights provided - I am ok with rain/cold, but do you think it would be unbearable in December to go to Dover?

Will probably also try to visit Hampton Court - sounds just wonderful!

We are going to be in London for 12 days, so I think that 2-3 trip like these shouldn't be too much - any thoughts?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM

If you're going to do train trips to Bearsted (for Leeds Castle) and Dover on separate days as well as coming in front Gatwick airport and back or doing other day trips such as to Oxford or Cambridge or Salisbury - then strongly consider the bargain London Plus railpass which could well save you lots of money on walk-up fares. You can get discounted oft highly restricted fares in advance but then you're oft pinned down on exact train trips - you never know how long you want to spend in Dover - if going to the castle you can take paths from it that go right on top of the Cliffs of Dover for sweeping views for example and not be hemmed in by exact trains discount tickets often dictate. Can also use to and from Gatwick Airport but not on heathrow express - pass covers most trains in about a 100 mile radius of London. For details go to: www.budgeteuropetravel.com and on the home page hit Britrailpasses and the current (2006) London Plus pass prices will pop up. if you have 3 or more folks traveling together the 3rd thru 9th pay only half what the first two pay on the pass ("Party Pass) and kids 15 and under go free - so families or small groups make this pass even a great possible benefit. Not sold in UK however. And in December (Nov-Feb everyone gets 25% off for the off-season pass price, making it ridiculously cheap! And you can ride any train any time - no advance planning needed (a few trains, mainly out of Paddington do not participate but nearly all others in wide London region do.