Day Trip from London: Hampton Court or Windsor Castle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I have posted before, we are going to London for 6 nights in early September.

We are already planning a day tour to Stonehenge/Bath but I am thinking we might want to do another, most likely on our own.

Should be see Windsor Catle or Hampton Court? From other posts is seems like either will be pretty much all day. I know that Windsor also is a town, but is there one at Hampton Court?

Seeking advice, thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:07 AM
dln

I don't think you could go wrong at either, really. Hampton Court is a bit more elegant in its appearance than Windsor Castle, and it has a maze to find your way through, and it has lovely formal gardens. Windsor Castle, on the other hand, has what you would call a more medieval castle look to it. It's smack dab in the middle of a lively town, so you'd have more shopping and dining to choose from. You could probably go to your favorite search engine and come up with pictures of both places, and you could just decide what you like the look of better.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:08 AM

No one can make this decision for you. Both are wonderful and both are world class, unique sites. You really can't pick the "wrong" one.

In the summer I usually recommend Hampton Court Palace if one has to choose only one, because the gardens are among the prettiest anywhere.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:12 AM

We had to make this same choice last March. We chose Hampton Court and were very pleased. It was indeed a full day excursion. There are several tours, led by very knowledgable, entertaining guides in period costume. There are also an audio tours that were really fascinating. We spent several hours IN the castle. Then there are the grounds... huge gardens of different kinds, as well as the aforementioned maze (which gave me the willies!)

There is a town as well. After our hours of walking around, we stopped at a pub for a snack and some adult beverages.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Both are great but I personally like the town of Windsor. I think Windsor is an all day trip, but Hampton Court can be done in a half day.
Hope you have a great trip.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I just visited both places in June and loved them both. It took a 30 minute train ride to get to either place. Hampton Court actually took us longer to tour because of the extensive gardens and the large amount of the actual castle you are allowed to tour. The grounds of this palace are gorgeous!

I have to admit, though, that I loved Windsor just a little more. This is probably because we only took day trips out of London during our 10 day visit (went to Greenwich, Windsor, and Hampton Court), and it really was nice to visit another town and get out of the grime and grittiness of the city.

Windsor is such a charming town, and you can also walk over the bridge into Eton. I have never seen so many swans at once as we walked by the river! Visiting the palace was quite a treat, getting to see the changing of the guard, the rooms that are open to tour, etc. We spent the morning touring the palace and grounds and then walked right off the grounds into the town of Windsor. We ate lunch at a delightful place called the Drury Inn--the best scones and clotted cream I had the whole trip! As others have mentioned, there are wonderful shops and restaurants to visit in the town. It's a great trip! I wish you could do both. You can't go wrong with either one. Since you will also be visiting Bath, that might give you the chance to get out of London and therefore, Hampton Court might be a great "palace" only trip for you.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:59 PM

I find Hampton Court more interesting as a Palace visit. But there's more to do in Windsor, the town is more pleasant. Plus if you're travelling with kids, you can also visit the LegoLand at Windsor!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 02:39 AM

You may want to look into Premium Tours. Their website: www.premiumtours.co.uk

My wife & I used them in May & took their one day tour to Bath, Stonehenge & Windsor Castle. It was the only tour that we could find that included all three. It also includes a neat stop at a restaurant on the way to Bath.

It was a great deal in our opinion.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 04:58 AM

I agree with mackie. I like Hampton Court better but the town of Windsor has more to "do", particularly if you go to Eton. You can take a boat ride in one direction from London to Hampton Court which adds another dimension to the trip.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the input.
HappyWanderer, I did look at the Bath/Stonhenge/Windsor tour, but was concerned that with three major sites there wouldn't be enough time to explore at any of them (particularly Bath). It doesn't sound like this was an issue for you - how much time did you have at the sights? Were you able to explore on your own or were you limited to the group?
Thanks! Goose
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:32 AM
AR

Just a tiny piece of advice. If you choose Windsor, then get there early to avoid the crowds (tickets can be bought on-line in advance actually), and don't go on a Sunday as St Geroge's Chapel is closed. This is in this chapel where many of the English and British monarchy are buried (Henry VI, Edward VI and VII, Henry VIII, Charles II, Georges III, IV, V and VI (including the Queen Mother) and William IV). This is well worth the visit.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 08:50 AM

They are both great, but I liked Hampton Court better. I recommend reading "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" by Alison Weir before you go (if you're into history). I had just finished it when I went to Hampton Court and it just really made the place come alive for me. Be sure to ask about the ghosts!
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:40 AM

Windsor is an easy train ride out from Waterloo station and the village is interesting as well as the castle. It's a short but impressive walk from the train station up the hill to the castle entrance, with the walls looming above you. You could stay all day, but it could be done in less than a day if need be. We went last year on Christmas Eve - left London midmorning and got back in time to catch the evening services at St. Martin's in the Field. Another day trip I would recommend is Canterbury -great cathedral plus cool Roman ruins as well.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 12:02 PM

If you do go to Windsor, down by the river (on the Windsor side, not the Eton side) you can start a boat ride on the part of that Thames (going away from London). These boat rides can go for an hour or so. We have done this a couple of times after touring the castle, & it is a nice relaxing way to get a view of the area. & on the way back to Windsor you can get some really good photo ops of the castle.