Which Region Of France?

Oct 28th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Carol

Which Region Of France?

I'm trying to chose between the following regions of France for our holiday:

Lorraine
Burgundy
Limousin

If you had to chose one of them which would it be and why and which would be the best town to stay in or near during our visit.

We like beautiful scenery, swimming in lakes, local festivals and concerts. We will be going in July/August 2003.

Thank you Carol

Oct 29th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Carol

TTT

Oct 29th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Carol

TTT

Oct 29th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Carol

TTT

God I'd no idea this question was so boring to you all.

Oct 29th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Tom

We just hardly know anything about the Lorraine nor the Limousin.

Why are these your top three candidates anyway?

I think you might find the occasional post about Metz/Nancy, perhaps. They're in the Lorraine, right? What is in Limousin? Limoges?

Oct 29th, 2002, 06:10 PM
mimi taylor

Lake Annecy is one of the most beautiful lakes I have seen.

Oct 29th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Ron

Can't argue with Mimi on that one. Absolutely as beautiful a setting as you could imagine.

Oct 29th, 2002, 08:34 PM
charlene

Well, we drove right from Metz to S. France (the Med) last September, and back, and all I remember was some nice scenery, a few minor castles, and lots of wine areas...mind you we spent most of the time on the autoroute, so there is probably a lot more if you explore more. If you have lots of time (ie at least two weeks) it would be nice. However, I do prefer southern france or Paris/Champagne area, myself.

Oct 30th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Michael

Burgundy would be my first choice. It has more sights, is well known for its wines, and is generally more interesting than the other two areas. The Limousin has a reputation for being the dead center of France-Limoges is its capital where Joffre transferred, in September 1914, 134 officers who were considered to be deficient; hence the term 'limoger.'

Oct 30th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Laurie

I don't know Lorraine well (but I know with Alsace is more German-like) or Limousin, but I have enjoyed Burgundy very much. For a town you might like Dijon which is more like a small but lovely medieval city or you might like the smaller wine villages. There are many nice restaurants that have a few rooms above to stay, not too expensive. If you like wine, you will like Burgundy.

Oct 31st, 2002, 03:21 AM
Carol

Carol, I only drove from Carcassonne to Poitiers a month ago, and thought the Limousin was unbelievably beautiful! Unfortunately we had to rush, so could not really explore the area. I remember that there were quite often adverts of sightseeing, activities etc.

With the little research I have done, and input on this forum, it seems as if Burgundy is the best choice right now. But I promised myself to go back to the Limousin!

Kindest regards

Helen Malan

Nov 1st, 2002, 12:45 PM
asm

My vote is for Limousin. I would say it is probably the most unspoilt of the three regions (though none of the three are tourist magnets) in the way that eg the Dordogne would be. I think you would find all your requirements there and even in July/August it will not be over-run with people.