Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where can I get discounted theater tickets for London shows?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:53 AM
jj

Is there a website where I can get discounted theater tickets to shows in London? Do they have services like TKTS here in NY, where you can get 50% off same day tickets to Broadway shows? I will be in London Thanksgiving weekend and would love to see a show there. <BR><BR>Thanks in advance!!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:09 AM
Karen

Yes, there is a ticket booth in the middle of Leicester Square. If you do a search on Fodors for &quot;london theatre&quot; you will get all the information you need.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:38 AM
judy

Know this answer 'cause I'm going to London next week and checked out theater tickets. <BR>To view what's available at TKTS go to: <BR>www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk, click on TKTS booth is upper right corner, at the TKTS page click in upper left coner on what's on sale today to get a listing of what's on sale at the booth.<BR>You have to buy in person at the booth and the offerings can vary daily, but if you look at the sight over a few weeks time you can get an idea of what is generally available for sale.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR><BR>Judy, no longer in Germany

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 11:50 AM
Patrick

Don't be fooled when you get to Leicester Square, though. The official half price booth is a free standing building at the south edge of the &quot;park&quot; at Leicester Square. As you approach that area you will see a number of booths that have &quot;half-price&quot; signs. Those booths are likely to tell you that a full price ticket for a show is 45 pounds (which the top seats may well be) then sell you a distant seat for half that price (even though that may be the regular price for that particular seat)! One of the best parts about the &quot;official&quot; booth is that mainly they sell only the top priced tickets, so your seats tend to be very good ones -- something I like better than the usual system at TKTS in NYC.<BR><BR>On the other hand if you are mostly interested in getting really cheap seats, you can often get seats to most shows at the theatre box office itself. Unlike New York, London theatres have a much wider range of ticket prices, and it is often to get a ticket (rear stalls -- orchestra to us Americans) or balcony for less than half the price of a top seat ticket. In other words you are likely to get a full price rear seat from the box office for less money than a half-priced top price seat from the half-price booth. My, that last sentence was wordy, but I hope it was clear.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:35 PM
Judy

Patrick is quite correct about the not so &quot;pseudo&quot; TKTS booths that line the square. These can be a real rip-off and the TKTS website alerts you to this. There is a map on the officiallondontheatre.co.uk--this will guide you to the correct spot!!<BR><BR>I prefer to buy the discounted, better located seats than go to a theater and get lower priced but not so good seats. Also, going direclty to the theater means if you don't get tickets there, then you have to go on to the next theater... I'd only go direct to a theater if the TKTS booth did not have tickets for a play I really wanted to see...it's a matter of time and convenience for me. <BR>But that's my personal quirk.<BR><BR>Hope this helps you<BR><BR>Judy, no longer in Germany<BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:40 PM
xyz

Or Judy, you can ring the theatre directly and inquire as to the availability of seats at the box office and then either buy them for a small fee (usually no more than &pound;1) or go directly to the theatre to purchase the ticket with no service charge.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:55 PM
Graziella

Thank Patrick for the information, many years ago we used to go to the theaters half and hour before curtain time and often they sold us very good tickets for half the price.<BR>It was Winter. <BR>Is it possible now to get tickets this way. thank you.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:03 PM
Patrick

Not to my knowledge. If you want the half price tickets, I think you'll need to go to the booth -- but it is close to most of the theatres. <BR><BR>And xyz is right. When I'm interested in popular shows, I always call the theatre directly in advance. Actually I have them hold the tickets at the box office and there is no charge at all, even for using a credit card. That's a nice change from the US, where you can't usually do phone orders directly with the box office. I just did four tickets for The Producers in Los Angeles. Had to do them through ticketmaster and there was a total extra charge of just over $10.50 per ticket!!! Last year I did tickets to four popular shows in London directly by phone in advance and none of them charged a single pence over the actual ticket price!