Search

Which of these 3 streets for apartment with toddler

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which of these 3 streets for apartment with toddler

Hello All,

I know we've posted an apartment question before but my husband kept wanting to hold off on booking anything expecting a work conflict to come up with our trip which never happened (grrrrrr) so now everything we wanted is pretty much booked and I'm scrambling last minute.

We are travelling with our 1 1/2 year old.... is there an area that would better suit infants?

Basically, have 3 apartment options:
1 in the Marais on rue des tournelles (which I believe borders Bastille)

2 on the left bank in the 5th (maybe one is in the 6th?):

Rue Mazarine (closer to the Seine)
Rue Champollion (right beside Sorbonne)

Many thanks!
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:13 AM

If you go to Google map and type in the address you can take a tour of all the neighborhoods and see what looks best for you.
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:30 AM

Presumably you'll be bearing in mind how far up each apartment is (European 1st floor = US 2nd floor, etc), and you will also want to check whether the bedrooms face on to the street or the internal courtyard (much quieter).
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:45 AM

I'm not that crazy about any of those locations myself. I guess it depends how long you are staying in these places, because if it's only a few days, it doesn't matter so much. I don't like rue des Tournelles, I think it's an ugly street and it isn't near any grocery store -- at least not a big one. But lots of streets are not particularly attractive, and it is near place des Vosges which might be nice. That's the thing I was looking for, proximity to a park. None are that close, but I guess the Mazarine one is the farthest. However, the Champollion one isn't near any grocery store, either. The Mazarine one is near a Champion supermarket on rue de Seine, so it has that going for it, but it isn't near any park. At least not within a block or two, which is what I'd want. Rue Champollion isn't that attractive either IMO. Depending exactly where on that street (if it's at the south end, in particular), it's not too far to Luxembourg Gardens.

IF you don't care about the supermarket because you won't be staying long or don't want to buy much -- or don't mind shlepping stuff on the bus or metro, I'd probably choose one near a park. Other than that, the most important thing is probably the apt. itself.
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:03 AM

Hi nostrum: Is the apartment on rue des Tournelles thru vrbo? We stayed in an apartment there two or three years ago and found the location to be just fine. I guess it depends on just where it is located but there were several small grocery shops within a 5 minute walk, it's fairly close to Place des Voges which is a nice park for your child, the Metro stop we used was Bastille, again it was about a 5 minute walk, there was a great bakery and laundromat close by on rue des Tournelles and the Bastille square area had many restaurants. There is an outdoor market at Bastille maybe 2 days a week with fresh fruits, vegetables and meats besides the usual stuff. Personally I enjoyed the location very much.

Hope this helps some. SuzChicago made a great point about checking it out via Google earth maps. Enjoy your stay.
Susan
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

You guys are the best!

I did go to googlemaps and do the streetviews! I did see that rue des Tournelles is definitely not the best looking street lol
The only benefit was that it was the largest apt. but we are only doing 5 nights, so I'm fine to stay in a smaller apt.
And yes, Susan, the Rue des Tournelles was through vrbo.

I believe the reviews for all of them said that there was some noise but I'm not overly concerned about that.

Ok welllll I think the Mazarine one might be in the lead.
ugh. there are sliiiim pickings in the 5th 6th and 7th now.
best,
Jennifer
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

If anyone is still reading I've got 2 more: (thanks for humouring me)

Rue de Bourgogne (by Invalides)

or
Rue Notre Dame Des Champs (at the south end of Lux Gardens)