Please excuse my total ignorance

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be spending a month in France and a few days in Spain. I'll be travelling with my iphone, camera and ipad. I already have a plug adaptor (European). I really know little or nothing about these devices other than for music, telephone, books, maps and shutter. Besides the various chargers (and the plug adaptor) is there anything else I should take with me? Someone had suggested a "power monkey" to keep the music running throughout the plane flights. What else can hold a long charge? Any suggestions?
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:51 AM

You could buy a Euro plug adapter that Apple sells for the iPhone and iPad. You'll only need one, but two would work. You might also want to invest in a portable surge protector to protect your devices.

If you're flying into France from the States, it'll be a night flight and time to sleep, not stay up all night listening to music.
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM

I don't know the answer, but I'll be at the edge of my seat, hoping to learn from those who reply to you. All I'm taking is my iPhone and I don't think I know enough about what to do with it, even though I've talked to AT&T. I'll be calling them again, as my list of questions is getting longer. Good luck.
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:54 PM

After you solve the charging issue, you probably should look into how you intend to pay for the voice and data portion of the iPhone. This would not be a simple yes/no type of inquiry. You need to forecast just how you intend to use your phone -- incoming or outgoing, to where, how often, whether keeping your existing number is essential, etc.

Regarding charge during flight, your iPhone battery lasts longer in airplane mode http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html Do you really want to schlep an additional gadget for a few hour more of music, if needed at all?
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:54 PM

Greg is right. This is great thread
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...data-plans.cfm
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi M,

May I suggest that you bring something that you might not have heard of before?

It is called a book.

It comes in a variety of formats and contents.

What is best for you is that it requires no power source whatsoever.

Enjoy your visit.

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:14 AM

What is this book thing you talk about?

To the OP: check the device charging plugs to see what VOLTAGE they use (there should be a label on them). If it says 100-240 or 110-220 volts AC, you just need an adapter or two. US is 110 volt AC, Europe is 220v AC. If the voltage specifications do not include 220 volts in the range, you need a converter.
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Dear Ira, Yes, I have heard of "books" and I have even travelled with a 15 to 20 pound supply of these things plus maps. And that is why I am taking the IPad (appprox one pound)and have an inexhaustable (or nearly)supply at hand. And even with the various chargers, etc., I plan to net an extra 12 pounds of something called "nothing". Brillant, no?
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:06 PM

A handy item for people traveling with multiple electronics (phone, camera, laptop) that need to be charged is a small dual voltage (110-220) surge protector that can charge several items at once. In older hotels/apartments, there may be only one receptacle, and this device handles your American-prong chargers and a USB-charge device in just one outlet, using only one adapter plug. An example:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Su..._ptcn_edpp_url