"Technology" questions for Czech Republic, Austria and Hungary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be traveling to these 3 countries this summer. Want to be able to use iPhone, iPAD and Apple computer, camera for the 3 of us. AT&T is our present carrier. Would like to be able to make/receive calls, use internet and applications on iPAD, and re-charge battery for camera. We also have hair dryers, straighteners, etc. that run on 110V. We are 3 very clueless women. What "gear" do we need to purchase here in US? Converter/adaptor plugs? We heard about unlocking phone and inserting SIM card? Can you do that with an iPhone? Do we need to make changes to the data plan for iPhone to accommodate European charges? Want to be able to use GPS, Yelp, Fodors, etc. on internet. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Apple sells a set of plug adaptors that work with only Apple products. Or you can get any plug adaptor set you want, though I prefer the Apple set even though it's kind of pricey.

AT&T will usually not unlock your iphone and ipad to allow them to work with a local SIM. You'll need to add international roaming to your cell phone plans (you pay a small fee if you want discounted rates and can turn it off as soon as you get home), and if you want to use the data features to work, turn on international data roaming and get a discounted plan. Data overseas is ridiculously expensive, and I've never done this. I simply use Wi-Fi. If you really desperately can't live without using the internet on your iphone and ipad, then be prepared to pay through the nose.

You'll find that AT&T charges through the nose for international texts, but they are still substantially less expensive than calls, so I'd use those (sparingly) for most communication back home.

If AT&T will unlock your phone, then you have to buy one of the super-small SIMs that work in an iphone or ipad. Every country will have an iphone carrier or carriers, so these should be available, but as I said, it's highly unlikely (virtually impossible) that AT&T will do this. You can always pay to jailbreak your iphone and ipad, but I don't recommend that. You definitely lose features.

Likely, all you need is a simple plug adaptor to charge it (but check your camera charger to make sure).

Leave hair dryers and curling irons at home unless they are dual-voltage. All hotels will have hair dryers. If you really desperately need a curling iron, then buy a cheap on there or buy a dual-voltage one before you leave. To me, however, this is a total waste of money and space.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:07 AM

Look at the specs - the tiny writing - on the power adapter of each device. You should see something about the voltage. European voltage is 220V whereas the US uses 110V. Most power adapters can automatically work on either voltage system, but you must confirm each one by checking. If it says 110 volts ONLY then you can't use it in Europe without a power converter, which is a little powered box you must buy.

Otherwise, if your devices will work at 220-240v, all you need is a cheap, simple adapter for the power plug. This is all most people need. I'm pretty sure your iPhone, iPad, and Mac will all be fine. Camera, not sure. Hair driver, not sure. Read the specs carefully - every device will have one somewhere.

As for the internet: all of the devices will work on WiFi in Europe. WiFI is almost exactly the same in both countries; I've used my US laptop with WiFi in all of those countries.

Your AT&T iPhone will work in Europe as a phone and you can use your phone number - but you'd have to call AT&T to sign up for international calling, and it's very expensive. You can do as you heard and have your iPhone unlocked by AT&T: they just started offering the ability to do that. Just call them and ask for instructions.

I don't think your iPad or iPhone data plan will work in Europe, but if you buy a SIM for your iPhone it may have data as well so you can use a European data plan. Same for the iPad - or just use the iPad with WiFi only.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Correction...Doug is right that AT&T will not unlock your iPhone. But iPads are a different story..they are always unlocked by default and you can buy a SIM for them.

This is what I would do in your case.
Contact AT&T and get an international calling plan for your iphone. Its not too bad, I don't think, if you only want to be able to make a few calls. I suggested this for the phone only. Don't use your iphone for the internet while overseas (turn CELLULAR DATA ROAMING off in the settings menu).

Then, get sim for your ipad, and buy a data plan for this. You can buy a sim after you arrive, or you can order one online. I've been looking at Maxroam for my ipad, and it seems like it might be a good choice, especially if you are going to be in several different countries. Use the ipad for your yelp, maps, and other internet type stuff.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:09 AM

Andrew...really, AT&T is now unlocking iPhones? that's news to me....will have to investigate. I was researching as recently as a month ago and read they would not.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:13 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...unlock-phones/

but only if you no longer have a contract.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:33 AM

I'm probably (make that absolutely) behind the times technologically so I'm laughing at the amount of things you're bringing on vacation (laughing nicely).

Since you have an ipad can't you use Skype to call and then you won't have to worry about the phone (just a suggestion from someone who thinks a notebook is almost too much to carry around on vacation). Who are all these calls from and to? If no one at home absolutely needs to get in touch with you 24/7 then try to do without the phone.

We don't know where you're going so no one can be certain that where you stay will have hair dryers. They certainly won't have flat irons. The places I stayed in the Czech Rep did not have hair dryers.

I would not bring your 110V from home and chance blowing out the wiring in the hotel or frying your hair dryer. Buy a cheap one there.

You have many appliances so buy a bunch of adapters so you can charge/use more than one item at a time. The also tend to get left behind in the wall outlet when you pull the plug from the wall. I travel with 3 adapters in case I forget 1 someplace or need to charge my camera and notebook at the same time.

You can buy them almost any place - hardware store, Walmart, etc.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! More than likely we will be renting an apartment for a week in both Prague and Budapest, so doubtful they will have hair dryers.

Doug, appreciate all your help, but had to laugh. You obviously don't understand long frizzy hair in July and the need for a dryer/hair straightener. Between 3 women, we will share one.

Will investigate AT&T plan, don't really want to schlep Apple computer, hoping to just take iPAD. The need to communicate with US is in case of emergency with elderly mother. We need to be reachable, but might be able to get by with apartment phone numbers. Will also ask about LD options in apartments, this might be a possibility. Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 11:16 AM

LBloom, consider buying a Skype US phone number. People in the US can call it for free (most cell phones have free long distance). If each apartment has a local phone, you can login to your Skype account and tell it to forward to whatever the local apartment number is. When you move to the next apartment, login to your Skype account again and change the forwarding number.

You can also forward your local US cell number to the Skype phone number...which will then forward it again to whatever number you have chosen.

It costs $18 for three months for a Skype phone number. Looks like the cost to forward calls is 2.3 cents a minute (cost to you) to forward to a landline in Czech Republic.

Such calls would not require any WiFi or computer once you have logged into to your Skype account to set the forwarding phone number. Of course, if you have WiFI, you can simply use Skype on your laptop (and possibly on your iPhone with WiFi?) to receive calls on your US phone number, without paying any forwarding costs to Skype. Your US Skype phone number will "ring" and you can answer it on a computer or smart phone whenever you are online and logged in to Skype.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Lots of times European rental apartments have broadband service that includes free calling to North America. If the apartments have wifi then they probably also have free calling. Check with the rental agents/owners.

You can also look into a google voice number for your ipad. I've only used google phone numbers inbound, not outbound so I don't know if there is a charge to dial out or if you can dial out.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM

Google Voice currently does not work if Google thinks you are trying to use it outside of North America. I was able to use Google Voice last September to make free phone calls from Europe back to the US only when I was connected to my VPN back home, which means my internet IP address shows up as a US IP address to them.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Both an iPad and a laptop? I guess I'm with adrienne.

Ask the rental agents/owners about the hair dryers. I'd be surprised if the apartments didn't have at least one.

And if you do bring all of this stuff, also take a power strip so you can charge multiple devices at the same time. Here's one. Test it before you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Simran-SM-60-1...4089916&sr=1-6
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 05:40 PM

I'm not an Apple fan boy and consider paying through the nose for special Apple plug adapters is a waste of money. I recently picked up an adapter at a dollar store for, you guessed it... a dollar. Side by side with one I paid several dollars for a few years ago I can't see any difference.

Where I live I can be at any one of a dozen places within minutes who'll unlock an iPhone for 20 bucks. If there's ever a warranty issue... they can be relocked. Look on kijiji.com and craigslist for people offering this service. You can then use a European SIM card of your choice
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 06:25 PM

If you are in the US, check places like Marshalls, Ross, and TJ Maxx for dual voltage hair appliances. I bought a small (travel size) flat iron at Marshalls for about $15.

You should be able to download a Wi-Fi finder app for the iPad that will search for nearby free and paid access points. I hear that many McDonald's locations offer free Wi-Fi.

You should be able to buy a prepaid or pay as you go cell phone at a grocery or convenience store at your destination.