Which London Hotel? Browns, Halkin or Intercontinental Park Lane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the best rate at the Intercontinental.
The Halkin and Browns cost about the same, have offered me upgrades and have considerably larger rooms (22sq meters at the IC as opposed to 35sq meters at the others).
Is there anyone with an opinion or first hand knowledge?
I'd greatly appreciate it!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
yk

Did you read reviews of each one on Tripadvisor?

Browns has undergone a huge renovation in recent years.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

I've read all the reviews but each hotel offers something a little different. In the case of the IC, it's price.
That's why I'd hoped for a little first hand Fodors knowledge.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:18 AM

i would take any of them! but i cant afford them...
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Brown's location is excellent, and our stays there were very pleasant. The large rooms are a real plus, and the hotel has a real English country-house feel to it--not one of those hotels where you could be anywhere in the world. The tea room is excellent.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
hsv

I live in London SW and work in the greater vicinity of these hotels. So while I haven't stayed there I am familiar with their locations and with the exception of the Halkin their public areas.
The IC is located at busy Hyde Park Corner, conveniently just atop the tube stop of the same name. It has recently been renovated and has some stylish and pleasant public areas, which appear to be slightly more modern in ambiance than the roooms themselves. Looks like one of the nicer big chain hotels to me.
Brown's is part of Rocco Forte's collection and a very beautiful example how the old world spirit of a long-established hotel can be preserved and enhanced through a recent renovation. It's located in a reasonably quiet side street to Piccadilly convenient to Green Park tube station and neighbouring some nice restaurants, Alloro, a slightvly upmarket and very pleasant Italian one of them (backside).
I've had a fair share of working breakfasts there, which are among the best I have enjoyed around town. Service has always been very pleasant and unpretentious.
The Halkin I can say the least about. Located in a side street in Belgravia, it's probably the most remote of the ones mentioned, but still in walking distance to the Hyde Park tube stop. I am aware of its great reputation, but just judging from its location I would prefer Brown's over it.
If it were up to me, my favourite would be Brown's and a toss-up between the IC and the Halkin if the IC were considerably cheaper.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much! This is just the kind of information I'd hoped for!!
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:15 PM

FYI, not sure if you have booked yet - but I used Priceline.com and got (what I think is) a great rate at IC - a Saturday night in may for $145. Might be worth a try?