Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London - Which Hotel/ Claridges or Covent Garden for dec-jan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I are meeting in London for some Christmas shopping/shows/etc. I have priced rooms at Claridges and Covent Garden Hotel and now I must choose between the two. I'm looking for luxe. Please tell me which hotel you would choose and why if you have a minute. Thank you for your help. MC
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM

I'd choose Claridges because it is a beautiful luxury hotel and has an opulent history

I've never been inside Covent Garden Hotel but I checked the website and the guest room decor was ugly IMO.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've stayed at the Covent Garden several times and never at Claridges. The service has always been outstanding and IMO all the rooms we've had have been very tastefully decorated. I'm sorry but don't have time to get into a pissing contest about decor.

IMO the breakfast at the CG is overpriced for what you get.

Location is great IF that's the part of the city you want to stay in.

I suppose it won't do much good to recommend you read the TripAdvisor reviews about BOTH establishments would it?
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM

I have only stayed at Claridge's once. It was an amazing experience. I compared around 10 top London hotels to obtain the best pre-Christmas package and Claridge's won hands down. Husband still has his complimentary bathrobe. But, it was about 10 years ago. Have since been back for a business breakfast and once for dinner, both excellent.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM

Chalk and cheese really, I think it will depend on your own taste. Claridges is famous, historic, opulant and large. Covent Garden is more boutique, more contemporary, cozier (and better located, IMO).

I doubt you'd have a miserable time at either.

Audrey Hepburn would stay at Claridges. Angelina Jolie would stay at the Covent Garden Hotel.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 11:21 AM

I agree with Kate in that these places are chalk and cheese in terms of style and so it really is a matter of personal taste.

I think Angelina Jolie is more likely to stay at Claridges though... or the Dorchester
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM

I think both properties are very nice, it is a matter of style and taste. Covent Garden is part of the Firmdale Group and I love all of their hotels especially the Knightsbridge.

Mariacallas, may I recommend Fino for great tapas. It is on Charlotte Street. Simply and delicious!