Reload this Page >

Hotels in London

Search

Hotels in London

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Sue Warner

Hotels in London

I have never been to London before and will travel alone for work in June 2002. I'm down to three hotels: Knightsbridge Hotel at 10 Beaufort Gardens; The Goring Hotel on Beeston Place; and the Dukes Hotel at St. James's Place. I'd like something very safe and where I can walk to restaurants, etc. I have an event to attend at St. James's Club. Otherwise, I'd like to walk around all of the beautiful parks I've heard so much about. I prefer more modern hotels (like the W chain) to traditional ones.Any advice would be appreciated.<BR>Sue

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:46 AM
elaine

Hi Sue<BR>The Knightsbridge Hotel has just reopened, it was being fully renovated when I was in London this past Feb<BR>(staying next door at the Claverley.)<BR>Since it is newly-redone, I'd have to assume that everything is fresh and clean. Can't speak to the style of the decor. I can vouch for the street, it is is quiet, attractive, and I had no hesitations walking from there from the Knightsbridge tube stop at night.<BR><BR>That said, I don't know if it would be as much a full-service hotel as, say, I believe Duke's is. For example, I would confirm that the K'bridge has an elevator and a/c if that is an issue for you. The buildings on that street are all whote-fronted former townhouses and some of the other establishments<BR>(the Claverley for example) are more upscale B&Bs in style than hotels, in my opinion. However, since it's all new, for all I know the K'bridge hotel has jacuzzis in every bathroom.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:47 AM
elaine

that was "white-fronted"

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Kim

Just returned from first trip to London last weeek, and we stayed at Duke's Hotel. Fantastic hotel and very close to Buckingham Palace, St. James Palace, the parks and the Green Park subway station. It is not a "modern" hotel - in fact I believe it is a very traditional and beautiful British Hotel. While it has a great location, it is very quiet as it is located in a courtyard off of a small sidestreet. Taxis have to back down the alley to get to the hotel. The staff was very gracious and helpful; however, many were not British and therefore, unable to answer some of our questions. Overall, I would definitely recommend it for location and ambience.<BR> <BR>

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Patrick

It's been quite a few years since I stayed at The Duke's, but it remains in my mind the perfect English hotel. The bartender (written up in numerous magazines) remembered not only my drink but my name after the first night. The tea is the lounge is elegant and refined. The rooms are beautiful (but ours was extremely small). Since then we stay in a rented flat, but The Duke's remains in my mind as a perfect place to stay.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Patrick

It's been quite a few years since I stayed at The Duke's, but it remains in my mind the perfect English hotel. The bartender (written up in numerous magazines) remembered not only my drink but my name after the first night. The tea in the lounge is elegant and refined. The rooms are beautiful (but ours was extremely small). Since then we stay in a rented flat, but The Duke's remains in my mind as a perfect place to stay.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:16 PM
janis

Sue: I am not familiar with the Knightsbridge hotel - but Elaine gave you good info.<BR><BR>None of the 3 are "modern" and all are very British-traditional. But the Goring and Dukes are two of the nicest traditional hotels in all of London. The Goring is just behind the Royal Mews at B'ham Palace and convenient to Victoria Station. Duke's is close to Green Park tube station and practically right in Green Park. <BR><BR>I love both hotels (by the way you will be safe just about anywhere in London) but if I had to choose one it would probably be Dukes because I love the location.<BR><BR>If you can adjust to old fashioned, discreet, traditional hotels with absolutely the FINEST service you can't go wrong with Dukes (or the Goring). <BR><BR>If you really want a modern, cutting-edge place then you might want to keep looking . . . .