Reload this Page >

overnight train from Barcelona to Paris and back, few questions

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Carla

hi
considering taking train from barcelona to Paris and back. few questions
1-are there beds in such trains, if so what is the name of that ticket.
2-any idea which train is fastest, i checked Sncf site, it says that the trip is about 12 hours.
3-what is the luggage limit on such trips, we are two people and we will have 2 travel bags and 2-3 handbags.
thanx

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Graziella

Hi Carla, recently we took a similar train that is: the Madrid-Paris.Tren Hotel, I am talking of the night train.
You can find all the information pertaining these trains in the Spanish trains web renfe.. . They offer three different class of tickets: GranClase, Preferente and Tourist.
I believe that tickets are less expensive if boutht directly in Europe.
The Gran Clase is excellent, it includes a full private bathroom with shower, dinner, breakfast, and the porter actually puts your luggage in and out of your cabin. we had two 24 "suitcases and two hand bags.
It was a delightful trip we paid in Madrid exactly 200 dollars each for Gran Clase one way.It might sound a lot but if you deduct the hotel,dinner, breakfast and the expensive airport -city drive, I thought it was a good deal.Good luck.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Shannon

We took that trip from Barcelona to Paris 2 years ago, and it is great. You want the Trenhotel as noted by Graziella. You should get a double room compartment, not too expensive. Nice digs, and will accommodate all of your luggage. It comes with a washbasin, mirror, and inside the mirror's cabinet, there will be toothbrushes, bottled water, soap, etc., and it comes with morning breakfast in the dining car. There's a website (check on the boards for trenhotel), or you can go to euraide.com, find the night trains, then scroll down for prices of the compartments only.

Old May 30th, 2002, 08:21 PM
George Gamarra

I took this train ride last summer. Basically you leave in the late afternoon from Barcelona and arrive in the morning in Paris. We had beds on the train. We got ripped off by buying the tickets in the States so definitely buy it in Barcelona. We went in June and there were no lines to buy tickets in Barcelona. Just walked right up to the counter. (We were buying the tickets for another leg of our trip) Remember that the train station where you buy the tickets is not neccsarily where you depart. You number of bags is fine but remember that the tracks in Spain are a different size than France so you will have to change trains at around 7pm at the border. The ride from the border to Paris is decievingly long....all night in fact. So just kick back and relax. Make sure to take pictures of the coastal towns once you leave the border station. Paris is bit over-rated by the way and if you have a decision to make, opt to stay longer in Spain unless you need to go shopping which Paris wins hands down. Good luck.

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Ben Haines

Mr Gamarra took the slower connection, with a change at th frontier. The best train, described in earlier replies, changes its gauge as it crosses the frontier. and while you sleep. The site http://www.seat61.com/, then Europe, then Spain, has pictures of compartments and restaurant car on this train. A note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes is on http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm